MACSCRPT Archives

June 2012

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Mark Lively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2012 04:20:16 +0000
On Jun 4, 2012, at 2:44 PM, john darnell wrote:

> Hello Everyone:
>
>    Back in 2005 I completed a massive Applescript project that was designed to work in InDesign CS on a PowerPC.  The actual scripting was done using Script Debugger 3 (I believe that SD4 came out just as I finished the project).  Since that time I have done only cursory maintenance work, the occasional debugging job and not much else on this project.
>
>    Well, CS is beginning to have problems on some of the newer Macintosh machines and I have been requested to look at how hard it is going to be to convert this massive script to a newer version of InDesign (we are looking at CS5/5.5).
>
> Can anyone tell me how easily PowerPC Applescript projects convert to Intel Mac Snow Leopard projects?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me, and Emmanuel, I am still using passwords that look like this:  “XXXXXXXX” (grin).
>
> As a bit of an afterthought, I am a little surprised to see that SD has only moved up a half-version since 2005.  Does anyone have any thoughts on that sensitive topic?
>
> (In the interest of full disclosure, please note that I also sent this to the SD list and after receiving NO responses in 4 hours, I decided to rewrite it to address only the broader scripting issues and reissue it to this list. I mean no disrespect to Mark Alldritt, his fine product, or his list.)
>
> John A.M. Darnell

I am working my way through this right now.  I've been building on XCode so I can't speak to using script debugger but there are a few things that I have found.

.scpt files (compiled applescript) are fine with either intel ppc.
.applescript (uncompiled applescript) are fine either way.
Xcode 4 doesn't really want to do applescripts but will include them in projects and they can be compiled in a run script step.
Indesign CS2 does not want to read PDFs made by CS5.  Or at least some of them.  It crashes badly.
A lot of scripts work by just changing the version of indesign.  Test though.  Some things break while others are fixed.
CS5.5 cannot export tiffs.
Leopard and Tiger can make script applications that run everywhere.

-Mark