CABIN-TRAIL Archives

May 2012, Week 4

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2012 22:14:50 +0000
Green Key's over, and it's your last weekend to get outside before finals (ew) - come on a trip!

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

Dinertoure Retournes to Eaton's SugarHouse!  South Royalton, VT.
Leave at 6:33 AM.
RSVP: [log in to unmask]
In 1821, Tom Eaton and his wife Betsy founded Eaton's Huggerhouse, an
isolated retreat for violent convicts to learn how to express
themselves through love and eventually make their way back into
society.  One of Betsy's innovations was her flapJackknives (from
whence we get the word flapjack), where she would tell inmates to stab
each other with pancakes to realize that violence doesn't solve
anything. The experiment ultimately failed.  A wildfire destroyed the
original Huggerhouse in 1847, and the Vermont state government decided
that they would stick with the more traditional "put criminals behind
bars and leave them there until they're dangerous enough to antagonize
society further" approach.  The Eatons reluctantly rebuilt the place
as a sugarhouse, and kept on frying to make the world a better place.
So, in honor of second chances, join us for breakfast on Thursday
morning--we'll take a bite out of history and a bite out of crime.
The ride is free, bring small bills.

The Feed!

Time: 7:00pm

Cost: $4

Description/difficulty level: Come on this easy eating trip (some prior eating experience is recommended)! A delicious homecooked meal TBD will be prepared for us by a chef TBD.

Where: The Rock! http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml

Moosilauke Hike and Lodge Dinner!
Wednesday 12:30pm- 9pm
$4 for DOC members, $7 non. $7 Lodge Dinner.
Leave after 12's for a cool hike up the mysterious slide trail on moosilauke, and an awesome dinner at the lodge afterward.
Blitz Zach Martinez your DA$H to sign up.

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY

Event:  Mt. Cardigan!
Time: 4:00 pm - 8:00pm
Cost: $2 for DOC members, $4 for non-members
Description / Difficulty:  This easy 3.5 roundtrip hike takes you to the bare-rock summit of Mt. Cardigan, which offers beautiful panoramic views of NH.  Take a break from your busy week, go for a nice hike up a very rewarding peak, and munch on some delicious snacks.  It'll be a nice change of scenery from campus.
Blitz:  Andrew Milligan with your DA$H to sign up!

Hike and Swim @Boston Lot!

Time: 1pm - 4pm

Cost: $2 for DOC members, $4 otherwise

Join us for a pleasant afternoon adventure just a couple miles down the road. Get off campus to explore nearby trails, hike up Burnt Mountain to snag some great views of the area, munch on some tasty snacks, and cool off in the Boston Lot Lake. If you haven't been there yet this is a great chance to learn about a sweet get-away and swimming spot just minutes away from campus! We'll be hiking ~3 miles roundtrip.

Blitz Jen Estrada with your DA$H to sign up!

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY

Event: Sunrike to Gile on Friday

Time: Leave before sunrise, back before 9L's (in time for a trip to Lou's)

Cost: free for DOC members, $2 for nonmembers

Description: A quick and easy hike to enjoy the sunrise at Gile. After the hike we will take another walk, all the way to Lou's. Come join us for a beautiful way to start the day with good friends and food!

Blitz: Hannah McGehee to sign up

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

Event: Hike Mt. Gile!

Time: 10am-12pm Saturday

Cost: $2 for DOC members, $4 for non-DOC

Description/Difficulty level: For those of you non-early risers who don't want to sunrike Gile on Friday, this hike is for you! Sleep in and then join us for an easy 2 mile roundtrip hike to Gile Mtn. It has a FIRETOWER (!!) which means it's going to have beautiful springtime views of the surrounding area. We can hang out at the cabin near the top if people so desire. Also, and perhaps most importantly, there will be snacks!

Blitz: Shea Flanagan with your DASH number to sign up or with questions

Trailwork! (could also be Sunday, see below)

Time: Around 9am-4pm

Cost: Free!

Description/Difficulty: We'll be helping to build some bog bridges! It's a neat skill to have and lots of fun, plus if you're leading a trailwork/hiking freshman trip in the fall, this will count for your requirement! We've got an expert coming in to help us out, so sign up! (plus who doesn't want a free lunch?)

Blitz: Max Deibel with which days (Saturday/Sunday) you could go on the trip!

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

Event:  Mt. Cube
Time:  9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Cost:  $5 for DOC members, $6 for non-members
Description / Difficulty:  Mt. Cube is a great mountain north of Hanover on the AT with fantastic views at the summit towards Hanover to the south and the White Mountains to the north.  We'll go up Sunday morning and do a moderate 7 mile roundtrip hike, with lunch along the way.  Come welcome the summer atop a fantastic peak!
Blitz: Andrew Milligan with your DA$H to sign up!