LLTI Archives

May 2012, Week 1

From:
LLTI Editor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2012 15:26:06 -0500
from "David J. Ward" <[log in to unmask]>

We are at a similar crossroads at Norwich University (undergraduate enrollment about 2200) in central Vermont.  The only difference is that the university is raising money for a new classroom building, in which a sizeable room will be set aside for a successor to the language lab, and we have another year or more to decide how we want it configured and equipped.  As our thinking has evolved over the past months, we're thinking less and less in terms of students visiting a lab, and more and more imagining a flexibly configured space that's part seminar room, part recording studio, part club meeting area, part tech resource and training space.  We have found Felix Kronenberg's chapter "Language Centers at Small Institutions" in the recent LLTI volume Language Center Design a useful starting point for our collective musings.
I'll be following closely everyone's responses to Monique Adriaen and Roberta Sinyor's original email for lessons and examples to share with my colleagues here.

David Ward
Professor of German
Department of Modern Languages
Norwich University