CABIN-TRAIL Archives

April 2012, Week 4

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:37:07 +0000
It may seem gloomy now, but the weekend's going to be nice! Get outside!

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

Dinertoure: Long live the new King
We are the breakfast men
We are the stuffed men
Eating together
Pancakes covered in syrup, Alas!
Homefries I dare not eat in dreams
In Shryl's dream kingdom
For these we will appear
At Robo, the rides are
Leaving at 7:00 AM
And getting back by 9Ls
This is the way the term ends
This is the way the term ends
This is the way the term ends
Not with a bang but a breakfast
The ride is free, bring small bills

Fire Build!

Come learn how to build a fire! This is a requirement to become a wilderness-certified leader in Cabin and Trail.

When: Wednesday, 4pm

Blitz: Will Bishop with questions or to sign up!

Chef Sanchez’s Feed!

Treat yourself to the culinary talents of none other than Juan Sanchez. Start off with spinach and artichoke dip, with homemade rosemary bread, before you dig into the poulet aux arachides (haha thats just peanut chicken), and wrap up with Chef Sanchez’s authentic Venezuelan custard.

$4 for dinner, free for the person who signs up to clean up after the feed.

7pm at the Rock (directions: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml)

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

Trail work at Ore Hill!
What: A day trip out to Ore Hill to do some trail work
When: Saturday, April 28 9am-2pm
Cost: FREE FOR ALL!!
Description: Come out to Ore Hill and help us maintain a section of trail by possibly: clearing fallen (light) branches off the trail, resetting stepping stones in muddy areas, or cleaning up a campsite. The hike to the campsite is about 1 mile. We will be leaving from behind Robo at 9am and returning to campus by 2pm. Sign up and encourage your friends to do it too. More friends=more fun.
Blitz: Anabelle Ferguson or Vipul Kakkad with any questions, comments, or concerns.

HOLYSHIT(S)! We're hiking the Franconia Traverse!

When: Saturday 6pm to Sunday night (probably around 8pm)
Cost: $14 DOC, $20 non-DOC
Description: The Franconia Traverse is the first hike in the HOLYSHITS series. We will leave Saturday night, stay in John Rand cabin (and eat some sort of delicious dinner), wake up early the next morning, have a delicious breakfast, and hit the trail. We will be hiking in two groups, starting at the two different trail heads, and exchanging keys when we cross paths so that we don't have to do a vehicle drop. The full hike is about 15 miles, with a pretty long section on a ridge above treeline. Beautiful views of the Whites guaranteed! This is also my favorite hike so far in NH.
Difficulty: difficult, but doable if you're in decent shape
Blitz: Jocelyn Powelson with your dash number to sign up

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

Orienteering!

Come learn how to navigate the wilderness equipped with nothing but a map and compass! In addition to being a requirement for wilderness-certified leaders in Cabin and Trail, orienteering is a ton of fun and a useful skill. A great way to spend your Sunday morning!

When: Sunday, 9am-1pm

Blitz: Will Bishop with questions or to sign up

AND this Friday and Saturday:

Check out the Woodsmen's Team as they host the annual Spring Meet! There'll be tons of lumberjack awesomeness going on at the Organic Farm on Friday and right here on the Green on Saturday, so come out and support our team! If you're interested in volunteering to help (even for just a couple hours), blitz Ben Hughey.