CABIN-TRAIL Archives

April 2012, Week 1

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Ben Hughey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 17:15:18 -0400
It's getting warmer! High of 65 and sunny this weekend, so get out
there and take advantage of it!

Note: If you're part of a group or organization that would like to use
our resources (leaders, vehicles) to go on a cool trip, reply to this
blitz with your club name and what you have in mind!

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY
Diner-Restruc-toure, Chelsea Station, South Royalton VT
6:35AM. RSVP to [log in to unmask]
Friends, after last weeks' debagel (the breakfast world's word for
debacle), we're taking Dinertoure back to its roots. No more hype, no more
pollution via gas burning vehicles, and no more forcing diner employees to
interact with Dartmouth students in the name of a profit. This Wednesday
we'll be meeting in the basement of Robinson. Each Tourer will be given a
cardboard box to sit in (labeled Gus's or Bert's or Walt's or Ernie's) to
reflect how diners use people names to show man's temporary claims to
physical space. All will be given one egg, to reflect the contribution of
animal life, and one grain of wheat, to reflect the contribution of plant
life. Enya music will be looped in the background, and the room's
environment will shift from warmth to cold, light to dark, snow to rain.
This will shows us that all times are diner times. One day we will break
the eggs, grind the wheat, and join boxes with others. But in order to
rebuild the society that could have been, we must go back to diners as
they once were. The ride is free, bring small bills.

Da Feed
It's been over a week - whatever novelty DDS had this term is long
gone. You know what you'd really like to have? A home-cooked meal in
the company of some awesome people! Come eat a delicious (as of yet
undecided) meal at the Rock!
Cost: $4
Where: The Rock, directions: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml
Difficulty: Easy, prior eating experiences is recommended

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY
Searching for peepers!*
are tiny, tiny frogs that become quite vocal only in early/mid spring.
They are one of the best signs of spring in New England, and we are
going to wander through the woods to to listen for them. We'll drive
out a little ways, either to the O-Farm or down Route 5, and walk to a
swamp. There ought to be peepers and, if we're lucky, some crazy wood
frogs too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Gzji9Brow
Difficulty: Super chill
Time: Leaving Robo 6:45 of Thursday, back by 9:oo the same day.
Cost: Free for DOC members, the ride is $2 for nonmembers.
Blizt: Annie Laurie Mauhs-Pugh to sign up!

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY
Keep it Kool at Kardigan!
What: A super chill 4-mile trip to Mt. Cardigan.
When: Friday, April 6, 2:30 to 7 pm (at the latest).
Cost: $3 DOC, $4 non-DOC
Cardigan. We will leave mid afternoon for the gentle 4 mile hike to Mt.
Cardigan firetower.Great views of the surrounding mountains and a neat rock
covered summit. Excellent
snacks and lunch will be provided along with scintillating conversation.
Blitz: Ben Bauer with your Da$h to sign up or ask questions

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
?I Like Ike? Hike!
When: Saturday, April 7, 8:00 AM ? 8:00 PM
Where: Mt. Eisenhower
Cost: $7 DOC, $10 non-DOC
Presidential Range!  Ike was a tough warrior and his namesake is a
tough mountain: this is a strenuous 9-mile hike and there will likely
still be ice and snow up top.  However, there are beautiful views of
all the Prezzies and the weather is predicted to be sunny!  The
elevation is 4780 feet.
Blitz: Will Bishop to sign up or with questions!

Hike the Pinnacle!
beginning of term? You should come hike the Pinnacle! There will be
awesome food, awesome company, and a nice easy hike with a great view
(and we've heard its great for picnics).
Timing: Leaving Robo at 10am Saturday morning, getting back around 2pm.
Difficulty: Super easy, 2-3 mile hike
Cost is $4 for DOC members, $6 for non-members
Blitz: Mac Murphy with your DA$H to sign up!

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY
Sunday: Climb Mount Osceola!!!
Knock out two 4,000 footers on a 7 mile hike up Mount Osceola (with
the East Peak on the way). We will be leaving at 7:30 AM on Sunday
morning and will be returning around 6:00 PM. It is a relatively hard
day hike, but the views from the top are well worth it.
$8 for DOC members, a few more for non-members.
Blitz Adam Schneider to sign up.