LLTI Archives

January 2012, Week 5

From:
LLTI Editor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:04:37 -0600
from  [log in to unmask]

Subject: Language Center Design
Date: January 30, 2012 6:33:27 PM CST

Dear fellow language centers designers, re-designers, and center directors,

I contact you as the editor of the IALLT book “Language Center Design” for three different reasons:

1. We have created a members-only space on the IALLT web site (http://www.iallt.org/lcd) that lacks content and needs your input.
I would like to ask you to share your successes, suggestions, and wisdom in the field of language center design and re-design with the rest of the IALLT community. Many of you already share this information through this listserv or through other modes of communication.
The site is a supplement to the book and thus more dynamic and interactive than the print publication. It’s also a way to bring together all the small bits and pieces of information and tips we all have, for example:

- photos of space solutions
- videos of successful uses of language centers; could be short sample footage
- links to useful products or vendors, such furniture, gadgets and technology, office supplies (storage; cable management; monitor arms; headsets; …)...
- creative ideas (paintable walls; wallwords; moveable walls; video recording booths; game rooms; ...)
- floorplans and blueprints; 360 panoramas of language centers
- …

These are just some suggestions. Pretty much anything that is important for someone who wants to create a new language center or redesign an older one. These resources will also be shared during our regular language center design workshop (at every IALLT conference). If I receive enough bits and pieces of information, I will combine them in a handy, curated pdf supplement that I update once a year.

2. If you have recently been involved in the creation of a new language center or a remodel of an older one, and if you’re interested in writing a chapter for the next edition of the book “Language Center Design,” please let know and we’ll be in touch. It will be a few years until the new edition comes out, but it’ll be useful for me to already add you to my list of potential contributors.

3. In case you missed it: “Language Center Design” was published this past summer (2011) and is available for purchase here: http://www.iallt.org/products/publications in both print and digital formats.

thanks, Felix

---
Dr. Felix Kronenberg
Asst. Professor, Modern Languages and Literatures
Director, Language Learning Center
Rhodes College