CABIN-TRAIL Archives

January 2012, Week 4

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:49:11 -0500
This week is....DOC Winter Weekend! Keep reading for instructions on how to sign
up for winter weekend. (It involves lots of food and happiness)

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

Dinertoure!
Wasp's Snack Bar, Woodstock VT
Leave at 6:40AM, rsvp to [log in to unmask]

I'm not often lobbed the comedic softball of a diner named after a
region's ethno-religious background (although I always met my
sleep-away camp friends at Jewy Louie franchises all over Rosalyn,
Scarsdale, and Alpine, NJ), but the buzz about Wasps makes it soar
above those cheap laughs. Join us for this local treasure, it's
rumored to be delightful! The ride is free, bring smal bills.

WINTERWEEKEND WINTERWEEKEND WINTERWEEKEND
*For all winter weekend trips, sign ups will be on Thursday from 11am - 2pm in
Robinson Hall. Cost is $5. Included in the trip is lunch, equipment, and overnight
at the Class of 66 Lodge, and breakfast the next morning. That's a good deal and
its going to be a whole lot of fun! Sitting in a cozy cabin with lots of friends,
good food cooked for you, and some guitar-jammin, after a good day in the out-of-doors.....why
not?!?

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

Ski Zealand Falls!
Zealand Falls is a beautiful frozen waterfall in the White Mountains. We'll use
cross-country skis to ski up the side of snowy Mt. Zealand to the waterfall, and
then ski down! Afterwards we'll go to Harris cabin to join the other DOC weekend
trips for a feast. After dinner you can either stay at Harris, or head back to
campus on a bus.
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY:
Zealand Falls is very beginner-friendly (moderate grades). That said, it would
help if you have been on skis (alpine or cross-country) once before (for example,
on the golf course).
COST: $5
SIGNUPS: Sign up at Robinson Hall 11 AM - 2 PM, Thursday
QUESTIONS: Blitz Matt Pickart ([log in to unmask])

Hike and Sled on Mt. Moosilauke!
When: Leaving Robo at 9:00 AM, flexible return time (see below)
about hiking up and then SLEDDING DOWN! This moderate hike will take us to the
South Peak area, where totally awesome views are promised! After snapping some
sweet pics and eating some tasty noms, we'll sled gloriously down the mountain
in a flurry of snow and unadulterated bliss. Once back to our vehicle, we'll drive
on over to Harris Cabin, where we'll meet up with all the other DOC Winter Weekend
trips for some wonderful dinner and company. Those who wish to stay the night
at Harris are encouraged to do so! If you don't want to sleep over, no problem
- there will be transportation available back to campus after dinner.
Because this is a DOC Winter Weekend trip, you MUST sign up at Robo on Thursday
between 11AM and 2PM. Blitz Max Deibel with any questions.
Cost: $5 for everyone!

Winter Weekend Sunrike!!

Winter weekend + midterms before + midterms after = no fun. If you don't have
the time to go on a longer trip this winter weekend, come hang out at Harris Cabin
(AKA the Class of '66 Lodge) for dinner on Saturday, where all the winter weekend
trips culminate, stay at Harris overnight, and then go on a gorgeous sunrike (weather
permitting) the next morning to one of the peaks of Moose Mountain - which is
only a couple of miles from Harris Cabin, and be back on campus by 9am on Sunday!
Lets face it, it's impossible to get any work done between 6pm on Saturday and
9am on Sunday anyway!!
Cost: $5 for DOC members and non-members!
Blitz Vipul Kakkad with questions, sig up in Robinson on Thursday from 11am-2pm!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Not* Winter Weekend Trips
Blitz the leader with your DID to sign up for these trips.

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

HAPPINESS IS THIS WAY
Overnight at Billings Lodge
Leave Saturday 3 PM - Return Sunday 7 PM (times negotiable to allow for
your schedules!)
Enjoy the beautiful warmth of Billings, nestled in the Presidential
Mountains.
Do one of many possible hikes on Sunday!
Be with humans. Be with more-than-human.
Cost: $12
Blitz Melinda Tascarella or Farzeen Mahmud to sign up.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

What: Firebuild workshop
Time: negotiable, probably PM for ~2hours
Price: FREE
Info: We will head up to oak hill to learn how to identify and gather usable firewood
in the forest and start a fire for cooking/heat. We may also practice using a
wood stove. Successful completion of this workshop satisfies the fire build requirement
for wilderness-certified leaders, but anyone who wants to practice fire building
is welcome to attend.
Blitz Christopher Rhoades to sign up.