CABIN-TRAIL Archives

January 2012, Week 3

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:54:54 -0500
There's snow! Oh boy! It's a good week to get out and play before midterms. Make
new friends, make friends with the cold, and enjoy the beautiful New Hampshire
outdoors.

Blitz the leader with your DID to officially sign up for a trip.

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

Christmas Themed Sunrike up Mt. Gile!
It's a super short hike up to a fire tower, which affords a breathtaking view
over the hills and mountains surrounding Norwich and Hanover.  Also a great way
to express some of those residual longings for Christmas (slash new longings for
next Christmas).  We'll be meeting in Robo at 6:15 and will be back before 9Ls.

Polka Dot Diner, White River Junction VT
Departure: 6:45AM, as close to back of Robo as possible
RSVP to [log in to unmask]

Another history lesson: During World War II, the acronym DOT (Don't Open This!)
was the opposite of the acronym SWAK (Sealed with a Kiss). Army wives would send
DOT letters abroad to their soldier husbands filled with terrible news--like they
were having a child with a draft dodger--and the soldier would know to not open
the envelope until he was emotionally ready. The game "Poke a DOT" was widely
played in tents all over The Front, as soldiers would nervously reach at their
letters, unwilling to learn what was inside while despising their ignorance. In
1951, veteran and fashion designer Swig Tipsley named his ugliest creation--the
polka dot--after this miserable practice, and a fashion icon was born. Marc Ronson
and Ron Markson, the owners of the Polka Dot Diner don't know any of this, but
now you do! The ride is free, bring small bills.

Feed! at the Rock at 6:30pm
Looking for some good company this Wednesday? Running low on meal swipes? Just
hungry for a real, home-cooked meal? Join us as we feast at the Rock! This week
will feature DELICIOUS LASAGNA and SCRUMPTIOUS VEGGIES! Prior eating experience
recommended.
Cost: $4
Where: The Rock, 16 Sargeant St.
Directions to the rock: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

HIKE CAMEL'S HUMP (it's in VERMONT!)
When: Saturday, January 21, 8:30 AM-5:30 PM
Difficulty: Moderate, 6.6 miles roundtrip
WHAT IS THIS YOU SPEAK OF?: Once upon a time when the green mountains of Vermont
were being formed, there was a camel.  His name we know not, but his legacy we
know indeed.  You see, this camel longed for greatness.  So, he ate his spinach
and clipped his toenails and became a mountain."TADA!!!" he screamed.  Now...
the great camel beckons to us.  We shall climb upon his back to reach a glorious
summit that will afford us spectacular views.  On this trek, we will eat delicious
food, sing happy songs, talk, be merry, and fight (with the teachings of compassion)
the various dragons that envy the magical camel.  We will need to use sleds. You
should really come.  PLEASE.  I LOVE YOU.  HELP ME WITH THE DRAGONS.
Cost: $4 for DOC members, ~$7 for non believers
Blitz: Melinda Tascarella with questions and/or to sign up
:]

Come hike MT HALE.  Where is Mt. Hale you ask?  Why, it is the lowliest of the
mighty 4000footers in VT/NH.  Standing at a majestic 4062ft, it laughs at its
neighbors in the Twin Mtn Range while its older brothers in the Presi's look down
knowingly.  We will ski in the 3.2 miles to the trailhead, then hike up about
2.3 miiles to the peak of the mountain, all on a moderate grade trail (11 miles
round trip).  Beginners welcome, we will be skiing on a flat road, and hike should
be pretty easy, and epically fun.
Time: 8am-7pm (possibly home earlier) Saturday, January 21st
Cost: $6 for DOC
Blitz Paige Wilson with your Dash, shoe size, and dietary restrictions to sign
up or get more information!!

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

Teach me to Ski!!
When: Sunday, January 22, 9:30am-12pm
Where: Golf course or pine park - details to come
over basic technique, and then cruising.  Just think how cool you'll feel with
the wind blowing in your face.  Come enjoy great company, pretty scenery, and
a brand new relationship with the ground under your feet.  All levels welcome.
Cost:  free
Blitz:  Ian Herrick with your shoe size to sign up.