CABIN-TRAIL Archives

October 2011, Week 1

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2011 17:24:15 -0400
As always, blitz the leader of a trip to sign up, and DA$H is your Dartmouth
ID#.

Caw-caw, RAWR.
- CnT

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

Dinertoure
The Fairlee Diner. 6:52 AM.
RSVP to Dinerz.

iNobody controls his own life, Ender. The best you can do is choose to be
controlled by good people, by people who love you.i

Until I came to college, I hated this line from Ender's Game. Who wants to
depend on others for happiness? After sophomore rush and senior recruiting,
though, it looks like the answer is "somewhat more than half of us".
Organizations have a strong pull, and there are great and terrible reasons
for joining any of them. Ultimately, you want to find groups that make you
your best you. If you think your best you involves a caffeine jitter, full
stomach, and greased colon, then you should look into Dinertoure. We might
just be the place to bring a fun fact, firm handshake, and 1 page resume. As
always, the ride is free--bring small bills.

CnT Feed
@ the Rock, 16 Sargent St.
$4 for a hearty, homecooked dinner, probably sometime between 6 and 7.

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY

What:  Trip to the Lodge!!
Why?:  To eat dinner and hang out with neat persons!
When?: Thursday at 5!  Meet behind robo
How?: Bring 8 dollars for dinner, and we'll supply the ride for free!

ROCK ON

Blitz: Sam Reckford to sign up!

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY

Sunrike Gile Friday
We'll be meeting up at 5:40am behind Robo and then doing an easy hike up to the
Gile Firetower to see the near-peaked foliage from above! We shoudl get back to
campus around 8 or 830.
Blitz Alan Keegan to sign up.

Event: Great Circle Hike (cue Lion King)
Time: Friday 2pm to Sunday evening
Cost: $23 for DOC members, $28 for muggles
Difficulty: difficult/appropriately intense for such beauty
SO WHAT IS THIS GLORIOUS ADVENTURE OF WHICH YOU SPEAK!??
This is an epic 35 mile weekend backpacking trip that will summit twelve
4,000ft + peaks.  We will frolic among the mountains, laugh in good company,
glow with the golden splendor that is fall, and spend our nights in tents, cozy
in our sleeping bags.  This trip is actually going to be the greatest thing
ever... so you should...
Blitz Melinda Tascarella with your student ID # & dietary restrictions to sign
up!
:D YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

Hike Mt. Washington!!
When: Saturday 7:30 am-10pm
Cost: $6 for members/$8 for non-DOC members
Difficulty: Harder

An 8.5 mile loop and an elevation gain of almost 3,500 feet promises
breathtaking views of the famous White Mountain in peak foliage. On the way
up, we will climb along the wall of the famous Tuckerman Ravine, continue
along Lion's Path, cross a unique alpine meadow (with many endangered plant
species unique to this region of NH!), then pass the summit of Boott Spur on
our way down the Boott Spur Trail. This will be a strenuous hike, but you
will be rewarded with a wonderful day on New Hampshire's highest and most
famous peak. Be sure to bring your camera and some cash for dinner at a
great local diner on the way back!

Blitz Krystyna Oszkinis with your DA$H number to sign up.

Lodge Dinner!
When: Saturday, 4:45pm - 9:30pm
Cost: $8 for Lodge Dinner
What: A wonderful home cooked meal at the Lodge! Please bring pants with
adjustable waist sizes - you should be prepared for extreme eating. This is
also a team sport, as we will be eating amidst wonderful company. The
objective is also to steal the butter from other tables. After dinner, if
the skies are clear, we may venture to the firetower to gaze at the cosmos.
Blitz juan sanchez to sign up!

Contradance in Norwich
When: 8:00 - 11:00 PM
Cost: Ride is free; bring $8 cash to pay the band
Difficulty level: Easy if you like music and dancing!
Details: Come to Tracy Hall in Norwich for a contradance with David Millstone,
Vermont's best dance caller!  Live music and a great New England tradition.
Beginners are welcome - all dances are taught!
Blitz: Will Bishop to sign up

SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY

Carter Dome Loop
When: 8 A.M. - 9:30 P.M.
Cost: $5 for D.O.C. members, $8 for non-members.
Difficulty level: Moderate / Strenuous
Details: Carter Dome is a 4832 ft. peak just east of Mt. Washington. We're
going to summit, hop over to Mt. Hight next door (which supposedly has
fantastic views), plunge down into the notch, and head back to the
trailhead--about 10 miles round trip. Enjoy lunch out in the mountains, and
take in the fall colors at their peak! Potential diner dinner on the way home!
To sign up: Blitz Graham Findlay with your DID and any dietary restrictions.

MONDAY, MONDAY, MONDAY (the 10th)

Canadian Thanksgiving
When: Leave at 6 P.M. on Monday, back by 10As the next morning (if you choose).
Cost: $10
Difficulty level: Intensely Extremely Easy
Details: Come celebrate Canadian thanksgiving at Harris Cabin with the canucks
in CnT! This trip starts in the car, as we honour Canadian music by jamming out
to Arcade Fire, Nelly Furtado, Rush, Raffi, Deadmau5, Joni Mitchell, The
Barenaked Ladies, and more! Then enjoy a delicious and flavourful home-cooked
dinner of organic turkey, pumpkin pie, apple cider, and other scrumptious
surprises! And guess who's coming to dinner? Special, Canadian guests include
Keifer Sutherland, Alex Trebek, Pamela Anderson, Neil Young, and the Most
Interesting Man in the World (Rory, too, if he accepts our invitation)! We'll
wrap it all up with a bi-lingual singing of the Canadian national anthem, and
drift off into a contented sleep with our bellies full of good food and good
humour. The overnight component is optional.
That's aboot it! Blitz Graham Findlay with your DID, dietary restrictions, and
whether or not you want to stay overnight!