CABIN-TRAIL Archives

September 2011, Week 4

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:17:12 -0400
There are so many awesome trips happening this week in Cabin and Trail!

To sign up for trips, 1) blitz the leader with your DID number and 2) get pumped
for a sweet trip.

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

Dinertoure:
  Dana's
Quechee, Vermont
  Leave from the back of Robo at 6:55 AM.

  "When you love something, name it for someone you love" was a favorite
  saying of my father's. He named our yacht for my mother, our summer home for
  my sister, and our chocolate wood armoire for me. Dana--or as she was
  called, "The Queen of Quechee"--was also dearly loved. Besides her
  accomplishments as the first female sheriff in the state of Vermont, she was
  known for hosting the annual Upper Valley Gala, dying the gorge green every
  St. Patty's day, and biscuit Sundays: the highlight of everyone's week.
  After she tragically fell into the gorge in March 1972, Dana's son Rodgebert
  decided to honor her memory by making biscuit Sunday into a daily activity,
  and he eventually turned the old stable into a full-scale breakfast and
  lunch service. This Wednesday, become a part of something loved with
  Dinertoure. The ride is free, bring small bills.
RSVP to dinerz

FEED@ the Rock.
When: 6:30 PM
What: Eat a delicious home cooked dinner! Bring a friend. Come enjoy good food
and good company.
RSVP to Alison Hezler if you want to sign up to cook or clean, or if you know
for sure that you are coming.
Directions to the Rock (an off-campus house): http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY

MINK BROOK
When: Friday 3pm-5pm
Cost: FREE!!!
Description/Difficulty: Finish your with a lovely stroll by the
Connecticut River and Mink Brook. The leaves are beautiful, the path
is practically flat, and it's a great trail within walking distance of
campus. We'll go as far along it as we feel like going and will have a
great time.
Blitz Jeremy Brouillet to sign up.

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

Hike & Yoga Up Mt. Cardigan!
A beautiful hike up Mt. Cardigan with fellow human beings, resulting in moutain
top yoga and splendid views, punctuated by delicious and healthful consumption
of food. Bring balance back and be a tree above treeline!
Meet behind Robo at 8 AM on Saturday morning, be back in the mid-afternoon!
Cost: $5 for DOC members, cash or DA$H (blitz Erin Dauson to sign up)

Event: Hike Mount Pierce
Time: 8:30 am -- 8-9 pm on Saturday
Cost: $6 for lunch and snacks along the way
Difficulty level: harder
A total of 6.5 miles and an elevation gain of 2500 feet will give us the chance
to enjoy the amazing Gibbs Brook Scenic Area and (weather permitting) great views
of the Presidential Range. On the way up, we will take the Crawford Path, along
Gibbs Brook, and we will summit Mt. Pierce. Going down, we will take the Webster
Cliff Trail along the Presidential Ridge (going south). We'll take a break and
play some games at the Mizpah Spring Hut, and from there we'll go on the Crawford
path again and enjoy the Gibbs Brook area with all of its waterfalls and wondrous
water features. Eating at a local diner after the hike is a possibility! Be ready
for rainy weather and good times!
Blitz: gmk (Georgi Klissurski)

Trailwork trip to Goose Pond Road!
There's no cost because it's trailwork!
Saturday, 9 to 430
We have the lumber
We have the tools
We have the expertise
We have the awesome noms
ALL WE NEED IS YOU!
To sign up for the trailwork trip going out this weekend! We're going to a section
of the AT off of Goose Pond Rd., a normally unremarkable section of the trail
except for the fact that it's ALL MUD! That's why we're building bridges. Lots
of bridges. No experience required, except for a desire to have fun and get covered
in mud.
blitz dabear for more info.

Woodsmen's Team Practice!
Saturday 11am - 4 pm
Come learn how to throw an axe and use a cross-cut saw! The woodsmen's team
(a sub-club of CnT) hosts practices throughout the term and attends
intercollegiate timbersports competitions throughout the region. No
experience necessary!
Blitz 'ftd' to get on the team's blitz list.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

What: Hike mt. Madison
Where: mt. Madison is a 5300 footer in the presidential range of the white mountains.
   It will be about 9-10 miles.
When: Sunday from 8am-9pm. Meet behind Robo at 8 am.  I'm thinking we hit up a
sweet diner on the way back (9 is kind of an upper limit for time)
      So mt. Madison is a big long mountain. It will be a hard hike (9 miles, 5300
feet), but most definitely rewarding as it is one of the tallest mountains in
New England. You should expect to be hiking all day, and hopefully will bring
both your game face and your eager face (think spongebob).  There are two different
tails, one follows waterfalls and the other has some decent outlooks, so we may
take one up and one down.  The weather looks somewhat cold and rainy, so definitely
try to be ready for the elements, as much of the hike will be above treeline.
Cost will be $5 for DOC members, $10 for non-DOC members.  Then you'll need some
extra money for a diner excursion afterwards (probably $12, but bring extra just
in case) Let's do it!

  So yeah, blitz iliketurtles with your DA$H number, to sign up.