LLTI Archives

September 2011, Week 3

From:
LLTI Editor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:53:54 -0400
from Andrew Ross <[log in to unmask]>

Dear All:

Along with my new hat as editor of the LLC Management Manual (abstract submissions are still most welcome at http://bit.ly/rpF0Sf), I'm encountering an interesting challenge regarding  a related topic — use policies and prioritization for computer classroom spaces.  I'm writing to solicit your own experiences and opinions.

The background:

We (Learning Support Services for the School of International Letters & Cultures) are tasked with supporting the teaching and learning of languages, literatures and cultures for approximately 160 faculty members and 8,000 students per semester.   Our budget is funded primarily through a per-enrollment fee, assessed to each student in each class in the School.  We have historically permitted faculty members to hold occasional class sessions in our two computer labs/classrooms.  The remainder of the time, students can use the spaces as open-access facilities for recording themselves, writing documents, and printing.  We're open 70 hours per week, including Sundays.

Here are our current policies:

1.  Faculty members may reserve these spaces for periodic class sessions.  Block reservations (every class, every week) are not allowed.
2.  Faculty members may allow (at their discretion) use of computers in the room by students not associated with the class.
3.  Printing takes place out the door and across the hall from the two computer classrooms.

As our traffic figures for both class use and open access are rising, in the wake of reconfiguring the spaces, we find classes occasionally (once or twice every other week or so) booked simultaneously in  both available spaces.  Students protest that as they're paying a course fee, they should have access to computers and printing any time we're open.  Logistically, we just don't have the available space or workstations.

Philosophically, I'm opposed to telling instructors that these spaces aren't available to them, or denying them access if such use would occupy both spaces at one time.  My take is that faculty are a multiplier for effective learning via technology.  That ought to take precedence over a student needing to print a document that they should have prepared and printed in advance of class, or "needing" to check Facebook, bank accounts, or Wikipedia.

How many of you have encountered the same issue, and how have you dealt with it, short of designating an open-access lab for student use only?

Looking forward to your replies,

a.

Andrew F. Ross, PhD
Head, Learning Support Services
School of International Letters and Cultures
Arizona State University
PO Box 870202
Tempe, AZ  85287-0202
(480) 965-1099