LLTI Archives

September 2011, Week 3

From:
LLTI Editor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2011 10:54:03 -0400
from  Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>

When we moved the printers out of the individual labs, that greatly simplified things for us.  We also had space to put a few, older, "drop-in" computers in the entrance area, so that there would be some access, even when all labs were in use by classes.  If those possibilities would work for you, it's worth a try.  Joining the Pharos printing control system on our campus became essential, after we became the only free printing site.  The printing volume dropped to less than half, when printing stopped being unregulated.  (And then bounced back somewhat, when student found a way around the controls).  On our campus, printing is still free for most students, in that they get a $10 printing credit each semester, and 85% of them don't use it up.  But they print much less, and there is less wasted paper.

Derek

Derek Roff
(retired)