NISUS Archives

July 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Hamid Haji <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:32:19 +0100
On 19 Jul 2011, at 20:44, takamitsu muraoka wrote:

> Hello
>
> Recently I asked for advice about indexing. My provisional conclusion was that the data file I’m trying to work from is somehow “corrupted”. A couple of months ago I had submitted a 300+ -page manuscript produced under NW Classic (version 6) with OX 9. The publisher processed it with NW Pro version 2. Just before they went on a 2-week holiday, they shipped it to me. I would rather get on to the job without waiting for their return.
>
> I said that when I try to create an index, data in footnotes don’t get incorporated. I now see that when I call up the file, all the footnotes on every page are boxed. When I click a footnote reference number, the cursor doesn’t move to the footnote text concerned. When I put the cursor inside the box, the whole box turns blue. I put the cursor on one of the footnotes, and try to return the cursor to the footnote reference above, but it wouldn’t work. It seems that all that is inside the box is not regarded as footnotes. But as what? I have no clue.
>
> On every page where there are footnotes, there is an empty space of very generous proportions between the last line of the text above and the upper frame of the box.
> When I print page X, what comes out of my printer is page Y somewhere else in the file, although page X is what I see in the printout of the proofs the publisher sent me, and the contents of page X agree with those of the printout they sent me.
>
> My Apple has NW Pro version 2 installed.
>
> Would anyone know how I could get out of this?
>
> Best,
>
> Takamitsu Muraoka

Here is just one solution that avoids a conversion which is bound to change the layout of your original Nisus Writer Classic file:

If the layout of your original Nisus Writer Classic file corresponds to a camera-ready copy, it would be better to retain that layout and create a PDF file from a PostScript file from within Nisus Writer Classic with all the original fonts as used in the classic file embedded.

If you have a PostScript printer selected in the Chooser, you can create a PostScript file from within Nisus Writer Classic by following these steps:

1. Open the Nisus Writer Classic file and activate Print in the normal way (Command-p).
This will present the Print dialog.
2. From the 'Destination' popup select 'File' (instead of 'Printer').
3. In the popup which begins with 'General', after all your settings correspond to what you want, select 'Save as File'.
This will open up other options.
4. From the 'Format' popup select 'PostScript Job'.
5. Finally, in 'Font Inclusion' popup select 'All', this is particularly important in your case.
6. Press Save. This will prompt you to save your filename.ps wherever you want.
When you click on 'Save' (or press Return or Enter), a PostScript file called filename.ps will be created in the location specified.
7. Double-click the icon of this .ps file. The file will be converted to pdf and open in, for example, Preview.
8. Save the file from Preview.
The file will be saved as filename.pdf.

Another solution is for you to convert the Classic file on your machine.
Indexing in footnotes should not be lost in the conversion process from Classic to NWP.

Hamid