MACSCRPT Archives

June 2011

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Nobumi Iyanaga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 23:48:09 +0900
Hello Emmanuel,

Thank you for your reply.

On Jun 16, 2011, at 11:25 PM, Emmanuel LEVY wrote:

> If you want a mirror forget about backup and perl, and go for rsync. Just say : do shell script "rsync -a --delete 'the source' 'the dest'", it's killer. Many options, it's a pleasure.

Well, it was "rsync -aHEv -delete" which was the start point of my unhappy experience. It seems to work well for Unix files, but for some older files/folders (I couldn't sort out what kinds of files/folders...), it messed up their modified time (updating the modified time to the time of the backup). This is why, I will no longer use it...

In fact, psync (a perl module) was much more reliable. But it cannot be compiled on Snow Leopard.

> FWIW, as you know we (quomodo.com) use intensively the features of Smile and Satimage osax, but we are dropping "backup".

It's pity... But I understand.

Thank you anyway for this very useful command!

Best regard,

Nobumi Iyanaga
Tokyo,
Japan