CABIN-TRAIL Archives

May 2011, Week 2

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2011 16:14:52 -0400
Welcome to CnT!

To sign up for any trip, blitz the leader of that trip with your DA$H number (make
sure you have money in your account!) or saying you'd like to pay in cash.  Your
spot will be reserved once you pay.  If the trip is free, just blitz the leader
to reserve a spot.

If you're interested in becoming a DOC Member, please see Julie Bell in Robo.
  You'll get discounted trips and lots of other perks.

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

DinerTortuga: Spring Break Edition
Isabell's, Thetford Vermont.  Leave at 6:49 from Roback (Back of Robo)

Who is Isabell?  Isabell is the '14 from San Diego who packed sundresses in
September and just unfolded them yesterday morning.  She wakes up at 5 am to
run Pine Park, hits Collis by 7, and then starts studying for one of her 3
lab courses so that she can have time at night to make funfetti with her
small but close-knit group of friends.  Isabell thinks the D comics are
funny, Heorot is a dorm in East Wheelock, and that her cs ta has the world
all figured out (He has the lab answers from when he took the class).  We'll
see each other for another week until she realizes that I'd rather nap than
attend another Dickey lecture about public health (I'm sorry, I'm ending
this through a Dinertoure blitz.  Upperclassmen can be so cruel).  For now,
though, Isabell is hope embodied.  Join us at her diner Wednesday morning,
where we eat her Perfect Pancakes and Fabulous French Toast and hold up our
orange juice glasses to the memory of dreams.

The Ride is Free, bring small bills.

Event: Lodge Dinner
Time:  5 pm - 9:30 pm
Cost: ride is free but $8 for dinner
Description / Difficulty level: Putt Blodgett is the MAN and he's giving a
talk on canoeing. If you think you handle his awesomeness, then by all means
come up to the lodge for dinner. Plus, there's no feed on Wednesday so you
have to eat dinner some how.
Blitz: Athena Aicher to sign up

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY

Event: Fire-building seminar
Time: 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
Cost: free!
Description / Difficulty level: Learn how to make fires with just a knife, matches,
and the great outdoors!  We'll meet behind Robo at 5:30 pm, then walk over to
the Rock <http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml> to practice at a fire-pit
in the backyard.  No experience or gear is required.  And stick around afterwards
for good company and delicious food at the all-DOC feed!
Blitz: Eric Ross to RSVP

Event: All-DOC Feed
Time: 6:30 pm
Cost: $4 or free if you help cook.
Description / Difficulty level: BBQ outside between the 16 and 18 Sargent
Street (The Rock and Gma's House). Come hang out with all sorts of DOC folk.
Play some frisbee. Swing on the tree swing, slack-line, sit on the roof and
eat delicious hot-dogs, hamburgers, veggie kebabs, pasta salad, potato salad
etc. etc. etc.
Blitz: Athena Aicher if you would like to help cook and haven't told her
already.

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY

Event: Wachipauka Pond
Time: Friday 4 pm - Saturday 12 pm
Cost: $7
Description / Difficulty level:
We'll leave Friday around 4, and hike about an hour to get to our campsite at
Wachipauka pond.  Once we get there, we'll go swimming, cook a delicious dinner
and camp out.  The next morning we'll do a short hike and have ice cream at Whippi
Dip on the way home!  Back by 12.  Blitz Maddie Lesser with your dash to sign
up!

Event: Friday the 13th Overnight!
Time: 4:00 pm Friday - 9:30 am Saturday
Cost: $1 'cuz it's a Heeler overnight
this is the trip for you! We'll leave campus at 4:00 on Friday, stopping at a
nearby pond for a swimming break (weather permitting). After that, we'll head
on to Ritchie Smith cabin, where we'll spend the night eating delicious food,
playing games, and partaking in Friday the 13th related activities of all sorts.
Finally, we'll get back to campus Saturday morning by 9:30. Great times are guaranteed,
and it's only a dollar!
Blitz: mnd with your DASH to sign up

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

Event:  Hard Or Long Yet Spectacular Hikes In The Spring-- Carter Traverse
Time: 4pm-ish Sat May 14 - 10pm-ish Sun May 15
Cost: $15 for DOC members, $17 otherwise
Description / Difficulty level: The Carter Traverse is 19 miles, so you should
be confident in your fitness and hiking ability and should have some prior hiking
experience. But the spectacular views will definitely make the long hike worth
it. We will drive up to Billings Cabin on Saturday evening and hike all day on
Sunday and return to campus Sunday night.
Blitz: Jocelyn Powelson with your DA$H number to sign up.

NEXT MONDAY MONDAY MONDAY

Event: Armington Cabin Heeler Overnight
Time: 6:30 PM Monday - Tuesday Morning to be determined
Cost: $1
Description / Difficulty level: Take a break from classes and hang out at an awesome
cabin during the week next week! Departure and arrival times negotiable/TBD. Gorgeous
cabin with sweet lake for swimming. Food will be delicious as always!!
Blitz: Piotr Teterwak with your DASH to sign up

FUTURE FUTURE FUTURE

Event: Presidential Traverse! - Hard Or Long Yet Spectacular Hikes In The Spring,
Really Obviously Radical Yet Still A Difficult ORganized hiKe?
Time: 5pm Fri. May 20th - 10pm Sat. May 21th
Cost: $15 for DOC members, $17 otherwise
up early to go on a strenuous 22 mile hike across all of the major peaks in the
Presidential Range.  Hiking experience and good fitness are necessary. We will
(weather permitting) be summitting many of the tallest mountains in New Hampshire
all in one epic hike!
Blitz: Kyle Heppenstall with your DA$H to sign up or for more info

THE GRANT THE GRANT THE GRANT

Here's a few AWESOME happenings at the Grant this term and beyond for those
of you who might be interested. Blitz me, Athena Aicher, if you are at all
interested in leading or going on one of these weekend EXTRAVAGANZAS.

May 20th-21st:
Spring Work Weekend at the Grant
We are looking for a crew of students to help make STODDARD CABIN
renter-ready for the spring.
All the other cabins are already rented, so there will be A TON of ALUMS to
meet and hang out with.
PLUS plenty of bonus time to EXPLORE and BUSHWHACK. Professor Jon Kull might
be there!
Trip would leave Friday evening and come back to campus early Sunday.

May 27th-29th:
Memorial Day Weekend and Fly-Casting Clinic
Trout unlimited along with Bait and Bullet are hosting a fly-casting clinic
for the weekend.
Test your skills, (or improve them) with a fly-rod!
Preston McBride '11 is heading this trip up.
Trip would leave Friday and be back on Sunday most likely.

June 3rd-5th
Post-Finals Fish-Tagging
Come join us up in the Grant to tag native BROOK TROUT.
A few Dartmouth professors, NH Fish and Game and some students are working
on studying native Brook Trout populations.
So we'll catch some fish and tag them with sick GPS TAGS.
You can even sponsor one yourself if you want to. (It costs money though)
The DIAMOND WATERSHED is so COOL.
Blitz Athena Aicher!

August 12-15th
ELECTRO-FISHING
Come help us electro-fish to study the BROOK TROUT.
Especially for SOPHOMORES during this SOPHOMORE SUMMER.
The black flies won't be bad I PROMISE.
Blitz Athena Aicher

Also, Chris Rhoades and I are working to set up a SICK-NASTY WOODSMEN'S
PRACTICE up at the Grant with Kevin Evans and that guy Jerry that we met at
Cobleskill. So blitz Chris Rhoades if you are interested in attending that.
Especially SOPHOMORES because it will likely be over INTERIM or over the
SUMMER. We'll learn about the Grant's LOGGING practices and fell a few trees
and do some CHOPPING practice.We'll also probably hang out, barbeque and go
swimming.