CABIN-TRAIL Archives

May 2011, Week 1

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2011 15:25:51 -0400
Welcome to CnT!

To sign up for any trip, blitz the leader of that trip with your DA$H number (make
sure you have money in your account!) or saying you'd like to pay in cash.  Your
spot will be reserved once you pay.  If the trip is free, just blitz the leader
to reserve a spot.

If you're interested in becoming a DOC Member, please see Julie Bell in Robo.
  You'll get discounted trips and lots of other perks.

<3 CnT

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY
Event: FEED!!!
Time: 6:30pm
Location: the Rock, 16 Sargent St.
Cost:$4 or free if you help cook
Come eat some delicious jambalaya and other tasty Southern delicacies.  Plus raspberry
shortbread for dessert.  I hear tell that Paige's dad was born in Louisiana so
it'll be especially tasty and authentic, but I think you should confirm that for
yourselves.
Blitz: Paige Wilson to help cook and learn secret family recipes!!

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY
Event: Lodge Dinner
Time: 4pm - 10 pm
Cost: $8 for lodge dinner. Ride is free.
Description / Difficulty level: REALLY challenging dinner eating. It's so hard
to enjoy so much food. There will be potential to sleep over at the lodge depending
on how many people want to do that. We'd be back by 10's on Friday. We are leaving
a bit earlier to play some soccer or frisbee on the leech field pre-dinner (rain
or shine). There is also potential for post-dinner broomball...
Blitz: Bigmama (Athena Aicher) to sign up. Tell me if you want to stay overnight
and I'll figure it out. I make no promises though.

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

Event: Moose Mountain Trailwork
Time: 9 am - 4 pm
Cost: FREE
Description / Difficulty level: Hike up past Harris cabin on the Nat Thompson
trail clearing blowdowns, fixing waterbars and having fun.
Prepare to be dirty and tired. We'll provide snacks and tools. No previous trailwork
experience required
Blitz: Molly Grear with your DASH to sign up

Event: Mt. Cube Hike
Time: 8 am - 2 pm
Cost: $6 for DOC members, $8 otherwise
Description / Difficulty level: A 6.5-mile hike.  Located in Orford, NH, the mountain
was once a granite mining site and part of a 19th century homestead.  The summit
stands at 2909 ft and affords fine views of both the White and Green Mountains,
including Mt. Moosilauke.  We'll drive about 40 min. over to Orford, and then
head up towards the summit on a moderate trail.  Over lunch we can reminisce about
the bygone days of old New England, supposing we chance upon the stonewalls of
the old Finney farm.   Snowshoes will be provided.
Blitz: rstsai with your DASH to sign up

Event: The Mt. Cardigan Crazyness!
Time: 10am - ~2pm
Cost: $5 for DOC members, $7 otherwise
Description/Difficulty Level: As the legend goes, once upon a time this mountain
went so crazy insane that it burnt off its own summit in a flash of spontaneous
crazy euphoria. Ever since, hikers have been summiting Mt. Cardigan to experience
the crazyness and attain existential absurdity-nirvana. As scientists, we will
be looking for the loco-ions hypothesized to be the source of this folk-tale.
A moderate 3.3 miles awaits you - enlist!
Blitz: Jaun with your DASH to sign up.

Event: Hard Or Long Yet Spectacular Hikes In The Spring- Franconia Ridge
Time: Saturday afternoon to Sunday night
Cost: $12 for DOC members and $14 for non members
Ritchie Smith Cabin. The following day we will hike all 17.4 miles of the Franconia
Ridge trail (with great views) and return to campus that night. The hike is going
to be very strenuous so please only sign up if you are in good shape.
Blitz: Gerben with questions or your Dash to sign up

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY
Event: Mt. Lafayette / Franconia raid trip
Time: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Cost: $7 for DOC members, $9 otherwise
Description / Difficulty level: Lafayette is a beautiful mountain in the Franconia
area.  This is a moderate 7.6-mile hike, and along the way, we'll get to raid
Eric's super-intense Franconia Traverse trip - so bring flair and raiding gear
if you desire!
Blitz: akwdb to sign up

Moosilauke Dinner and walk
Cost: $8 for dinner
dinner we will go for an optional short hike (~1.5 hours) to see the stars.  Return
to campus ~11pm.
Blitz: ERD

FUTURE FUTURE FUTURE

Event: Hard Or Long Yet Spectacular Hikes In The Spring. Carter Traverse
Time: 4pm Sat May 14 - 10pm Sun May 15
Cost: $15 for DOC members, $17 otherwise
Description / Difficulty level: The Carter Traverse is 19 miles, so you should
be confident in your fitness and hiking ability and should have some prior hiking
experience. But the spectacular views will definitely make the long hike worth
it. We will drive up to Billings Cabin on Saturday evening and hike all day on
Sunday and return to campus Sunday night.
Blitz: Jocelyn Powelson with your DA$H number to sign up.