UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:55:09 -0400
I should have known as soon as Ed Hack called me this afternoon that I
was in for a couple of hours of hookey.  He had a Common Tern and 4
Bonaparte's Gulls at Dewey's Pond in Quechee.  OK, twist my arm, Ed.
Three of Bonaparte's had left by the time I arrived, but we watched the
tern and one gull foraging on insects over and on the water for 45
minutes, with ~20 Tree Swallows.  We then went on the the road that goes
above the pond's south end and had an amazing early warbler wave in the
treetops -- at least 30 Yellow-rumpeds, 2 Black-Throated greens, a
Yellow Palm, a Pine, and a Black-and white.

Unfortunately, the tern and gull were gone when others arrived ~ 5:00
pm.  However, we were all rewarded with a cooperative adult Bonaparte's
Gull and Greater Yellowlegs at Kilowatt boat access, as well as a Common
Loon and the biggest flock of cormorants any of us have even seen on
Connecticut R.  I had 48, while others arriving soon after me counted 67.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies