LLTI Archives

April 2011, Week 4

From:
Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:49:26 -0400
Hi,

I have been watching this thread as we are also dropping wimba. We had started to move towards tokbox.com as it offered both video messaging and synchronous conferencing. They dropped the video messaging part. Then we started looking at eyejot.com which did the video messaging. It was a bit clunkier but worked. However, in our more recent attempts to use it in the last six months it freezes and is buggy. I had been communicating well with them via email about a large adoption through mid fall semester but then they seem to have dropped the ball, stopped responding.

While I appreciate and am familiar with the options below and others mentioned, none of them are quite the same format as video/audio messaging which worked more like a discussion board than a presentation with comments. Nanogang if I'm not mistaken doesn't run off of a web page on their server but requires an install. Voxopop may be the closest but it is a very linear format. Put out a question and each person response to it so it doesn't really get threaded like a series of video/voice messages would be.

If anyone has a tool that will do that threading I'd love to see it. CLEAR audio drop box is great for leaving a single audio file but there isn't a good way to send a response to that message, or is there and I've missed it? I was looking for an audio feedback to the CLEAR conversations as well but couldn't come up with a good way to do that either.

I welcome any suggestions, and Eddie, thanks for starting this thread.
Lauren

Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program
University of Wisconsin