CABIN-TRAIL Archives

April 2011, Week 4

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2011 12:37:07 -0400
Welcome to CnT!

To sign up for any trip, blitz the leader of that trip with your DA$H number (make
sure you have money in your account!) or saying you'd like to pay in cash.  Your
spot will be reserved once you pay.  If the trip is free, just blitz the leader
to reserve a spot.

If you're interested in becoming a DOC Member, please see Julie Bell in Robo.
  You'll get discounted trips and lots of other perks.

<3 CnT

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY
Event: CnT Feed
Time: 6:30pm
Cost: $4, or free if you help cook at 5pm.
Where?  The Rock, 16 Sargent St.
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml
Menu: Freshly baked sourdough bread, soup and a grain main.  Soup and main will
be dairy, meat and gluten free.
Blitz: mattd to help cook.

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY (Day change!)
Dinertoure Retournes to Eaton's SugarHouse!  South Royalton, VT.  Leave from the
back of Robo at 6:42 AM, back before 10As.
RSVP: Dinerz

In 1821, Tom Eaton and his wife Betsy founded Eaton's Huggerhouse, an isolated
retreat for violent convicts to learn how to express themselves through love and
eventually make their way back into society.  One of Betsy's innovations was her
flapJacks and flapJills (from whence we get the word flapjack).  Using maple syrup
and a paint brush, the criminals would draw the evils of the world onto their
pancakes and then eat them, showing that they could swallow their past malfeasances
and move on with their lives.  The experiment ultimately failed.  A wildfire destroyed
the original Huggerhouse in 1847, and the Vermont state government decided that
they would stick with the more traditional "put criminals behind bars and leave
them there until they're dangerous enough to antagonize society further" approach.
  The Eatons reluctantly rebuilt the place as a sugarhouse, and kept on frying
to make the world a better place.  So, in honor of penal pancakes and second chances,
join us for breakfast on Thursday morning--we'll take a bite out of history and
a bite out of crime.  The ride is free, bring small bills and a shiv.

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY
Event: Mink Brook Valley Quest
Time: 8am-10am (feel free to leave early)
Cost: Free!  Meet behind Robo.
and do the Mink Brook Quest.  It's a treasure hunt on sorts, with a riddle/poem
that will guide us to a hidden box.  It's one of many Valley Quests, a large assortment
of short riddles/poems to learn more about the local landscape and history.
Find out more at: http://www.vitalcommunities.org/valleyquest/
Bring: Light jacket, shoes/boots and water (optional).
Blitz: mattd with questions.

Event: **Great Bear + Moosilauke Ravine Lodge Weekend Extravaganza**
Time: 6:00 PM Friday, April 29 - 10:00 PM Saturday, April 30
Cost: $6 DOC, $8 non-DOC for dinner at Great Bear.  FREE Lodge food on Saturday!
Description / Difficulty level:  Do you like hanging around in warm, cozy cabins
with awesome people?  How about going to the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge for delicious
food and springtime fun?  If so, this is the trip for you, because we'll be doing
BOTH in one weekend!  We'll head up to Great Bear Cabin on Mt. Moosilauke around
6 PM Friday (departure negotiable), cook dinner, play games, tell stories, and
spend the night.  In the morning we'll head over to the Lodge for a busy work
day, helping open the place up for the spring!  The Lodge (Famous For Fine Food)
will provide lunch, dinner, and great times afterward - and *if* you want, you
can even stay overnight and get breakfast for free too!  If this sounds like an
epic weekend to you, please blitz back ASAP, because the Lodge wants to know how
many people are coming to help.
Blitz: akwdb to sign up

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY
Event: Orienteering (Mt. Wolf edition)
Time: 9 am - 6 pm
Cost: FREE
Description / Difficulty level: This trip will involve bushwacking to Mt. Wolf
using nothing but a compass, a map, and our brains (machetes optional). Like a
sort of treasure hunt, we will use the skills of orienteering to reach the ultimate
prize - the view from the top (which will be awesome). Sign up if you're looking
to learn these skills for the first time, feel like a little refresher course,
or just want an excuse to go off trail. Guaranteed-delicious lunch and snacks
and good company will also be provided. So sign up because who doesn't like playing
in the woods.
Blitz: Catalina with your name to sign up.

FUTURE     FUTURE     FUTURE
Event: HOLYSHITS- Franconia Ridge
Date+Time: Afternoon of May 7th to night of May 8th
Cost: $12 for DOC members and $14 for non members
Ritchie Smith Cabin. The following day we will hike all 17.4 miles of the Franconia
Ridge trail (with great views) and return to campus that night. The hike is going
to be very strenuous so please only sign up if you are in good shape.
Blitz: Gerben with questions or your Dash to sign up