LLTI Archives

April 2011, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:36:00 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 20:55:12 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #9634 Microphone for Audacity

We have been surprised with recording quality of the <$50
Audio-Technica ATR 25 stereo mic.  It's still listed at online
vendors, but none that I know well.  I suspect it's been
discontinued.  The ATR 6250 looks similar, and is selling for $32.53
at B & H and $37 at Amazon.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664439-REG/Audio_Technica_ATR6250_ATR6250
_Stereo_Condenser_Video_Recording.html>

<http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATR-6250-Condenser-Recording-Microphone/dp/B002G
RBA2M>

As one might expect, the AT 825, at about 6-10 times the price,
sounds a lot better.  It, too, has been discontinued, but is still
available.  The best price I found was $169.

<http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=AT825&source=f
roogle>

These are analog mics, and therefore need a microphone input on the
computer, or some sound input device.

If you want a stereo mic with a USB output, the MXL USB.007 looks
interesting.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/488714-REG/MXL_USB_007_USB_007_Stereo_Con
denser_Microphone.html>

In most cases involving students and/or situations where the speaker
is not supposed to be focused on the recording process, I would
rather record using a digital audio recorder, and then transfer the
recording to the computer for editing.  A small recorder is less
intimidating, cheaper, smaller, less distracting, and quieter than a
computer.  We have had pretty good luck with $60-$120 Tascam,
Olympus, and Zoom Handy portable digital audio recorders.

> Any recommendations for microphones to use with Audacity for doing
> OPIs?  They involve two people, an interviewer and interviewee, so
> would have to pick up both voices well.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center