UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Upper Valley Birders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 23:06:55 -0400
7bit
From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
While on the phone just before noon, a tight flock swirled by outside.
Trying to maintain focus on the call, I grabbed the camera and fired off
a few shots during the few seconds that the flock was visible. Only
later was it apparent that they were Common Redpolls.

For anyone interested in what a flock of 149 redpolls looks like, the
image is posted in the Vermont eBird pool (link below). Counting from
such an image is easy, and the total is higher than I would have guessed.
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/36866981@N03/5594167622/in/pool-vtebird>

Later this afternoon I saw an estimated 150 American Robins in 2 groups,
feeding on bare ground along Bragg Hill Road.

Lastly, our first Fox Sparrow of 2011 spent the afternoon below our
feeders, joined by several newly-arrived song sparrows. The fox and one
song didn't go to roost until at least 7:30pm.

Doug Hardy, Norwich