BAHASA Archives

April 2011

BAHASA@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Waruno Mahdi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indonesian language list <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:09:21 +0200
Well, it's _tentir_ that was borrowed from Dutch, and thus reveals some
acquaintance with that language (quite normal amongst intellectuals and
students in the 1950-s),
whereas _tentor_ seems indeed to be a recent concoction based on _tentir_,
and actually betrays practically zero knowledge of Dutch ;)
Meanwhile, I did some more looking up last night, and found that the
word _tenteren_ was not borrowed into Dutch from Latin _tentare_,
but apparently from French _tenter_ 'to attempt, to tempt' instead,
that in turn originates from the Latin.

-- Waruno