LLTI Archives

March 2011, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2011 16:08:42 -0500
--- Forwarded message from Timothy M Cook ---

>From: Timothy M Cook <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 11:42:13 -0600
>Subject: Skype with Japan

Greetings, colleagues,

I've been trying to work with English instructors in Japan to have our
respective students talk to each other by Skype on a regular basis, but the
biggest problem has been the mismatch in our academic calendars. After you
account for that, finals, studying for finals, and time at the beginning of the
semester to settle in, less than half of our respective semesters is available
at the same time. Since Skype is so easy and the opportunity so great, I'd like
to make a twice-weekly conversation with someone in Japan a requirement, once
in Japanese and once in English. I'd like to give the Japanese side a little
script and visual materials to have something to talk about for at least part
of the Japanese portion. Has anyone done this outside of class-to-class
arrangements? Or are there classes that would roughly share an American
university's calendar? There are way more than enough committed English
learners in Japan to make this work so that academic calendars are irrelevant,
but I don't know how to find them, or have students find them, short of going
to language exchange websites and just picking someone cold. I'm not very
comfortable having students do that, let alone requiring them to do so.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tim Cook, PhD
Japanese Instructor
407B Humanities Bldg., 900 13th Street, South
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Mailing Address:
HB 407
1530 3rd Ave S