NISUS Archives

March 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Heard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:42:34 +1100
Terrific news, T, but worrying. How can you say
you don't have groupies when all of us here love
you with a deep and abiding emotion?

Okay, we're maybe a scabby old bunch and not the
kind of groupies you had in mind, you rock star
wannabe, but on the other side of the coin, at
least you're not as desperate as your old school
contemporary, Tony Robinson, who has done
dreadful things with turnips, not taken off his
underpants for 5 years, and collected dog poo for
a dye works in his pursuit of fame and fortune! I
mean, there are limits and he is so far over the
line he wouldn't be able to see it with a
telescope and a searchlight!

Erik -- no knocking Stig Larsson. I think it is
important that his books aren't straight
thrillers or crime fiction, but rather they are
that form used to campaign for causes close to
his heart. As a vehicle in support of democracy,
media/speech freedom, women's rights and human
rights in general, and the control of rampant
capitalism (while supporting capitalism in
general) they are quite remarkable -- putting all
this heavy stuff into a darned good read.

For anyone who doubts what I'm saying about the
underlying stuff, take a look in particular at
the third in the trilogy, "The Girl Who Kicked
The Hornet's Nest". It provides you with all the
background you need, both explicitly and
implicitly, to understand the Julian Assange and
WikiLeaks case, even to the to-ing and fro-ing of
the prosecutor. Check pages 232-234 for a clear
statement on freedom of speech and media freedom
in Sweden (the best in the world? Certainly
better than Australia; we have no freedom of
speech or freedom of media guarantees); read the
whole book for the sensitivity of Sweden to
matters impacting on women's and particularly
girls' human rights.

The freedom of speech and media laws tell you why
WikiLeaks went to Sweden; the human rights themes
that run right through the book tell you how to
attack Wikileaks in Sweden. Not that any secret
organization hasn't known about and used the
honey trap since the beginning of time, but it
just so happens that the law in Sweden is
particularly strong in relation to such matters.

Cheers, geoff