LLTI Archives

February 2011, Week 4

From:
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 22:49:40 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:55:41 -0500
>Subject: Windows 7 vs Windows XP & Mac OS 10.6
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum	<[log in to unmask]>

Good afternoon,
I am wondering if anyone on the list may have already experienced an
upgrade to Windows 7 on their campus, and what insights or "lessons"
they may have for other Language Resource Centers looking at moving to
Windows 7.  We are back to having to debate Mac vs PC because we
learned today that we will likely no longer have the option of dual-
boot Macs and so we will have to consider one or the other system.
Knowing that we will have to choose one or the other puts shapes our
perspective on "ease of use".  While we have many reasons for favoring
Macs in our Department (one big one being that 60% of the faculty
prefer Macs), support from IT may be a large issue and is one that
administratively we must consider.

What we are looking to know is whether Windows has improved its
international language support especially related to:

a) diacritical markings (accents) - Macs have traditionally been
easier for keyboard input (not requiring keyboard input change) and
also supply a Character Map for single click input
b) auto-detection of language - can Windows 7 / Office 2010 auto-
detect the language of input and avoid "auto-correcting" into English?
c) ease of input of Asian language characters (and other right to left
language input)

I am also interested in finding out about whether (and which) there
was software with which you may have experienced compatibility
issues.  The Windows 7 machines would be 64-bit, not 32-bit.

Thank you for any pieces of wisdom you may be able to offer.

Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo

Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo
Director, Language Resource Center
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania

phone:  484-646-5865
email:   [log in to unmask]
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/KU_LRC
NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of the addressee,
and may contain information that is private, confidential or otherwise
restricted from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient,
any distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you received this message in error please notify KU
immediately by contacting [log in to unmask]