LLTI Archives

February 2011, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2011 18:47:39 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from 15.5 ---

From: Susan Weier <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:02:50 -0600
Subject: Re: #9576 Anyone using the Gong Moodle Module?
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi there,

We've looked at Gong as an alternative for Wimba.  Most recently (within the last
year) I was able to get it installed on Debian, using old/end-of-life versions
of Tomcat and Java (jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28 and j2sdk1-4.2.19).  Upgrading either
of those packages broke the installation, although I hear that others have had
limited success.  I had reservations about putting it into production with the
older versions.

Since it wasn't in production, I can't tell you much about the storage needs.
The interface was usable, but not terribly user friendly. I didn't ever get the
wave forms to work in the voice board.  The application did seem to be reliable
otherwise, and I liked the ability to assign different levels of access to different
groups of students.  We would really have liked to use it, but the security implications
were a problem.

The Moodle integration was a little problematic.  After I installed the Gong module,
I was unable to delete any courses in Moodle 1.9.x.  I'm not sure what will happen
with Moodle 2.0.  Moodle authentication was also problematic - I should have been
able to authenticate to Moodle, and then automatically authenticate to a Gong
voiceboard, but I wasn't able to get that to work.

As you pursue this, the Voice Applications forum at moodle.org will be useful:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=1868 .  There are lots of posts regarding
Gong.   We are still working with Nanogong, which is a self-contained recorder.
It's available in our Moodle server, and we're experimenting with embedding it
into other applications.

Sue
--
Susan C. Weier