CABIN-TRAIL Archives

February 2011, Week 3

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 15:24:00 -0500
Welcome to CnT!

To Sign up for any trip, blitz the leader of that trip with your DA$H number or
saying you'd like to pay in cash.  If the trip is free, just blitz the leader
reserve a spot.

If you're interested in becoming a DOC Member, please see Julie Bell in Robo.

You'll get discounted trips and lots of other perks.

-CnT

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

Event: DinerToure to the Fairlee Diner
Time: 7:00 AM Wednesday, Feb. 16; back by 9Ls
Cost: Free ride, bring small bills for food
Description / Difficulty level: Come enjoy good breakfast and good company at
the Fairlee Diner, famous for emu burgers!  Meet behind Robo for a ride.
Blitz: dinerwheels

Event: CnT Feed
Time: 6:30 pm
Cost: $4
Description / Difficulty level: Come to 'The Rock'--16 Sargent St. (http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml)
to eat a delicious homecooked meal for dinner
Blitz: cnt if you want to help cook

THURSDAY THURSDAY THURSDAY

Event: Mt. Gile Sunrike!
Time: 5:30 am, back before 9:00
Cost: $2 for DOC members, $3 for non-members
Description / Difficulty level: Come on an easy, 1.4 mile round trip sunrike (sunrise
hike) to Mt. Gile. We will leave campus nice and early at 5:30 in the morning,
hike up to the fire tower on top of the mountain, eat breakfast while watching
the sun come up over the Upper Valley, and then return to campus with plenty of
time to get to your nine X-hours.
Blitz: Jesse Rieb with your DASH number to sign up

FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY

Event: Snowshoeing at the WINTER FARM EVENT!!!!!!!
Time: multiple short hikes held from 4pm-sundown (but the farm event goes from
3-8)
Cost: free!
Description / Difficulty level: No experience necessary! Rides will be leaving
from Robo every hour, beginning at 3 pm. Come enjoy a wonderful easy snowshoe
around the Organic Farm! There will be multiple snowshoeing nature walks starting
at around 4 pm and continuing until dinner. Then stay for a PIE WORKSHOP and delicious
POTLUCK, explore the MAPLE SUGARING shack, and listen to the special guest band
***RECKLESS BREAKFAST****. Its going to be great!
Blitz: Ariana Sopher if you're interested (just so we can get an idea of how many
snowshoes to rent) still come even if you forget to blitz in!!

Event: Hinman Cabin Heeler Overnight
Time: 6pm Friday-whenever you need to be back to campus by Saturday
Cost: $1
Description/Difficulty Level: We will be heading over to Hinman Cabin (about 9
miles from campus) on Friday night, cooking a delicious dinner, and then chilling
and playing games in front of a warm and toasty fire. On Saturday morning, we
have a couple of options:
1. Habitat for Humanity- help build a house and learn valuable carpentry skills
from 8:30-12:30!
2. Hike- snowshoe up part of Smarts Mountain
3. Hanover-return to campus...
Blitz: Julia Hudnut-Beumler with your DA$H number and your vote (1, 2, or 3) to
sign-up!

Event: Joint DOC-Harvard Outing Club trip: Mt. Moosilauke
Time: Evening Friday (flexible, but before dinner) to evening Saturday
Cost: $13 for DOC members, $15 otherwise
We will leave on Friday evening before dinner (time flexible), meet up with the
people coming from Harvard, and head out to Great Bear cabin, where we will have
dinner. On Saturday we will snowshoe up Mt. Moosilauke (moderate/strenuous--there's
tons of snow right now!) and return to campus by early evening Saturday. A unique
opportunity to interact with another outing club. The Harvard contingent is being
led by Alexios Monopolis '03, former DOC president and now director of the Harvard
Outing Club--he's trying to revive intercollegiate outing club trips. Gear rentals
are free as always.
Blitz: Matt Pickart to sign up

Event: Raid the Joint DOC-Harvard Outing Club trip: Mt. Moosilauke
Time: Evening, leaving after 7pm on Friday, back by 11pm
Cost: Free, but if you want this as a ride to participate in the real trip, you
will have to talk to matt, and pay accordingly
the joint DOC, and Harvard-oc trip will be staying. We will snowshoe in to greet
them (if DOR has enough snowshoes for all the trips that go out that weekend,
if not the trek will be more trecherous...) After our raid (tbd) we can spend
some time hanging out in Great Bear, before heading out again to return to campus.

This trip is tenative depending on interest. If you need a later ride up to the
real trip, that is good too, but I would encourage particiapation in the whole
trip as a priority over the raid, however... come play with me... there will be
some walking outside in the snow, some hanging out in cabins, and a mix of company.
Blitz: ERD to sign up, or with questions

Event: Sledding the Mt.Washington Auto Road
Time: Leave Fri, 2/18 @ 5pm, return Sat, 2/19, late evening.
Cost: $8 DOC members, $10 Non-DOC members
Description / Difficulty: We'll travel up to the luxurious Billings Lodge
just north of Mt.Washington for the night,
then get an early start the next morning to sled the auto road!  We'll
snowshoe up most of the auto road (~5 miles),
then sled down (we will not be summiting).  Sleds, snowshoes and other gear
provided.
It'll be a very strenuous hike, but well worth it!  Think: 5 non-stop miles
of fast sledding!
Preference will be given to those who have participated in an extreme
sledding series event this term.
Blitz: Wales Carter for more information and to sign up