CABIN-TRAIL Archives

February 2011, Week 2

CABIN-TRAIL@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cabin and Trail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2011 19:17:06 -0500
Welcome to CnT!

To Sign up for any trip, blitz the leader of that trip with your DA$H number or
saying you'd like to pay in cash.  If the trip is free, just blitz the leader
reserve a spot.

If you're interested in becoming a DOC Member, please see Julie Bell in Robo.

You'll get discounted trips and lots of other perks.

-CnT

WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY WEDNESDAY

Event: Winter DINERval!
Time: 7am at the back of Robo, back by 9Ls
Cost: ride is free, bring small bills for grub
I did there? Early cause you wake up early for DinerToure and early cause Winter
Carnival starts on Thursday) by trekking out to the wonderful Fairlee Diner in
Fairlee, VT.  Big ticket menu items include their omelets and EMU BURGERS.   Direct
quote from a satisfied customer: "Calorie counters not welcome. Gets a weeks supply
of fats and carbohydrates in one sitting. Everything is to die for...literally."
Come enjoy the awesome food and awesomer company.
Blitz: dinersaur with questions or to sign up!

Event: CnT Feed
Time: 6:30 pm
Cost: $4
Description / Difficulty level: Come to 'The Rock'--16 Sargent St. (http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cabtrail/rock.shtml)
--to eat banitsa (a popular Bulgarian dish made with American ingredients, still
turns out pretty well).
Blitz: skt if you want to help cook. I think I'll start cooking around 2h before
6:30 since the banitsa has to go in the oven for a while.

>  FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY
>
>  Event: Extreme Sledding & Tobogganing, with special guest ***Laura
>  Dukeshire!!!***
>  Time: 12:30pm - 1:30pm
>  Cost: Free!
>  sledding with the duchess of Robo!

Toboggan and sleds provided, but bring one if you have it.

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY

Event: **CARNEVAL**
Time: 9:30 AM, Saturday, February 12; meet behind Robo.
Cost: Free!
Winter Carnival started 100 years ago as a way to celebrate Dartmouth's ski team...so
this weekend, we'll be cheering them on at Carneval, the skiing and meat-eating
event of the year!  Races are at Oak Hill at 10:00 and 11:30; meet behind Robo
between 9:15 and 9:30 on Saturday for a ride.  And after the races, there'll be
a cookout featuring more species of meat than you've ever seen before: moose,
elk, emu, squirrel, you name it.  This feast is well worth waking up early on
the Saturday morning of Winter Carnival; come join us, and tell your friends!
Blitz: akwdb to sign up - we want to know about how many people will be coming.

Event: Contra Dance!
Time: 7:45pm to 11 pm
Cost: 8 dollars in cash to pay at the door
see what this great New England tradition is all about.  Bring your go-game, plus
comfortable shoes (preferably NOT the ones you were wearing outside, to keep the
dance floor clean.) Come out and party like a pilgrim!
We will meet behind Robo, blitz your friendly neighborhood "Groove Fiends" Will
Bishop and Sam Reckford to sign up!

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

Event: Hike Mt. Ascutney
Time: Sunday, leave at 9am, back around 4pm
Cost: $5 for DOC members, $7 for non-members
Description / Difficulty: Mt. Ascutney is about half an hour south of Hanover
in Vermont. We'll drive up Saturday morning and do a moderate 7 mile round trip
hike to the fire tower on top, which should have nice views of the surrounding
area. Snowshoes and poles will be provided.
Blitz: Jesse Rieb to sign up or for more info.

Event: Hike Camels Hump!
Time: 8:00 am- 6:30 pm
Cost: $8 for DOC members, $10 otherwise
Description/Difficulty Level: Camels Hump is a beautiful mountain with epic views
in the middle of the Green Mountains in Vermont.  We'll drive over Sunday morning,
immerse ourselves in the glory of nature for the moderate 6.6 mile hike, eat delicious
food, sing happy songs, revel in good company, and arrive back at campus in time
to finish any last minute work.  No previous winter hiking experience is necessary.
  With temps in the 20s, warm clothing is going to be important, but we should
be able to rent any gear you need.
IT IS GOING TO BE WONDERFUL!
Blitz: Melinda Tascarella with your DASH to sign up

NEXT WEEKEND    NEXT WEEKEND    NEXT WEEKEND

Event: Sledding the Mt.Washington Auto Road
Time: Leave Fri, 2/18 @ 5pm, return Sat, 2/19, late evening.
Cost: $8 DOC members, $10 Non-DOC members
Description / Difficulty: We'll travel up to the luxurious Billings Lodge
just north of Mt.Washington for the night,
then get an early start the next morning to sled the auto road!  We'll
snowshoe up most of the auto road (~5 miles),
then sled down (we will not be summiting).  Sleds, snowshoes and other gear
provided.
It'll be a very strenuous hike, but well worth it!  Think: 5 non-stop miles
of fast sledding!
Preference will be given to those who have participated in an extreme
sledding series event this term.
Blitz: Matt Dahlhausen for more information. Sign-ups will be next week.