MACSCRPT Archives

February 2011

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Christian Huldt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2011 10:21:33 +0100
fre 2011-01-21 klockan 20:02 -0800 skrev Brian Johnson:
> I've got a bit of a problem .... and since context may matter here ....
>
> Context:  G5 dual running 10.5 and Personal Web Sharing, plus my "peacePipe" (apache <-> applescript) software. The G5 is new to me, but the rest was ported from an older PPC box, running 10.4 to I could keep an OS-9 app or two around. Newish MacBook adds the SnowLeopard footprints.
>
> peacePipe works by configuring apache to channel "cgi-bin/name.acgi" requests to a shell script that uses a inter-process pipe and osascript to execute the "handle cgi request" of name.acgi in a world where there's a window-manager. The script then runs, returning output back through the same pipeline. This setup is stable for several years, and is certainly working on the server in question.
>
> What is NOT working is a script that used to let you control iTunes (on the server) from a web-browser. When I opened it (in ScriptEditor) on the server (10.5..) a bunch of the iTunes vocabulary seemed to be unrecognized (e.g. "player state"), even though the iTunes dictionary on the same machine shows the info. So I can't fix it there (it seems).
>
> So, I brought a copy of the script home, where my 10.6 laptop opened it fine, binds to the iTunes dictionary fine, and (with one fix) actually runs the script fine as long as I run it in SE and hand-code the incoming "POST" commands. Peachy, except I can't save it to a format (script bundle or application) that works on the server. If I copy it as an .app and rename it, it turns into a folder and apache says "access forbidden". If I rename it first, it looks ok under 10.6 but "turns into" a folder when copied to the 10.5 server. If it isn't named .acgi, peacePipe won't get the POST data from apache.
>
> This script is a toy, so I could toss it without pain, but I've got several other applications that I don't want to lose just because I have to make a tweak (they run now).
>
> Am I missing something? or am I really sitting 'twixt the proverbial rock and hard place? (and, yes, I know this question sort of goes back 4-5 years ... call me a slow learner...)

Of peacePipe I do not know, but it might be possible to run a daemon
process in the world of the window manager and have a "normal" cgi talk
to that one? (Of course, that is probably the whole idea of peacePipe,
but when one wheel doesn't work one might be tempted to re-invent it...)

Just my 2 öre...