LLTI Archives

January 2011, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:22:25 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Cobb-Zygadlo, Deanne" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 08:20:19 -0500
>Subject: virtual computing labs
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum	<[log in to unmask]>

Good morning,
I am looking for information on the evaluation of virtual computing
labs particularly for the study of languages.  Our college is
currently testing virtual computer labs with the idea of potentially
dissolving standard computing labs in favor of virtual labs that
students may access on their own computers.  Not having the
opportunity to test the option myself, I do want to be proactive and
ask the relevant "tough questions" of IT because while I have heard
good things about virtual labs, I also have my own concerns about
whether they are viable in a language lab setting (as opposed to a
standard computer lab).  I should note, that we do not have a turn-key
lab, but do make heavy use of our LMS, Wimba, and other on-line
resources.  We do use language software (e.g., Atajo, Systeme-D),
however, and are hoping to expand these offerings, not diminish them.

Does anyone on the list have experience with virtual computer labs
having been deployed on their campus?  Can you provide me with some of
the concerns or issues that needed to be addressed?  What are the
limitations of virtual labs for the language lab environment?  And in
your estimate, did the benefits outweigh the limitations?

I would also be interested in knowing how the deployment of virtual
labs impacted your Center in terms of both how your facility was
outfitted, and the services that you provided.  Did you find a
diminishment of your priority on campus, or did it increase the
demand, but focus it on other concerns (e.g., troubleshooting,
language assistance, media viewing, etc.)

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo

Deanne Cobb-Zygadlo
Director, Language Resource Center
Kutztown University of Pennsylvania

phone:  484-646-5865
email:   [log in to unmask]
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/KU_LRC
NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of the addressee,
and may contain information that is private, confidential or otherwise
restricted from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient,
any distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you received this message in error please notify KU
immediately by contacting [log in to unmask]