LLTI Archives

January 2011, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:14:28 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:25:12 -0700
>Subject: Re: #9962 Camera advice?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I have a few of thoughts, based on the described equipment and setup. Firstly,
camcorders with internal hard drives have shown much higher failure rates than
any other common format, in all the ratings that I have seen.  Much higher than
the hard drives in computers or iPods, for example, and much higher than tape,
DVD, or memory card-based camcorders.  I would pick a camera that recorded to
SD cards, if I were buying for this type of project, or most others, at this point.
Cameras with an input for external microphone will give you the best sound and
most flexibility.  An external microphone input is fairly rare, so this criterium
cuts out more than half the available consumer models.

My next thought is that it sounds like the plan will include a massive time commitment,
in terms of editing and post-production, for each lecture.  Video from either
a hard drive or SD-based camcorder is recorded in a very compressed format.  In
order to edit the video, it will likely need to be copied onto the computer's
hard drive, and then changed to an editable video format.  This takes time.  Editing
from a multi-camera shoot takes time and judgment.  Audio editing and mixing from
multiple microphones takes time and skill.  It takes time to output the edited
production into the format(s) for student viewing. Some of these steps just take
unsupervised computer time, and some take human thought and labor as well.  Reading
the description of the hardware setup, it's easy to imagine four or more hours
of post-production time for each hour of lecture recorded.  I'm wondering if the
staff, budget, and enthusiasm can be maintained.  It's likely that you will soon
have terabytes of video material.  Storage, cataloguing, transfer, and delivery
of video resources will be time and equipment consuming tasks.

I would have a maximum of one wireless microphone in a lab or classroom, and I
would try to avoid using it unless absolutely necessary.  A group of well placed
fixed microphones is likely to get better sound almost always.  It will also save
you a good percentage of your budget.  It's not that the wireless microphone is
a flawed technology, but rather than any microphone on the speaker works well
only if the speaker is trained and mindful.  Professors are focused on the class,
not on video and audio production issues.  Certain professors will insist on a
lavalier mic, and that will give everyone a chance to experience a new range of
audio interference and extraneous noises. I've had much better luck with ceiling-mounted
wired microphones in classroom situations.  When connected to a good microphone,
all the camcorders that I have used record excellent sound.

I've used Final Cut Pro for this kind of video editing, (and for many other kinds).
  I think Final Cut Express can also handle it, although it doesn't have the same
level of integrated audio editing. I haven't used Adobe Premiere in years, but
I suspect it can also do what you need.

Good luck,
Derek

Derek Roff