LLTI Archives

January 2011, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:13:06 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:41:53 +0100
>Subject: Re: #9959 Recording help
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Joan,

I think you have received some good suggestions. We are phasing out of wimba at
this time as well both because of the cost and the lack of support for some of
the tools that we used the most. I can tell you what we have looked at for some
of these changes that you may find comparable.

For Voice direct, we have used Tokbox which is actually videoconferencing but
with out the camera it can work as a voice chat. You can choose to record it.
It is independent so it doesn't stay with a teacher account like voice tools.

For voice boards there is also a feature in tokbox that allows for asynchronous
but it is a bit hard to find.
We have also tried Eyejot for asynchronous but in the last month we have had some
trouble.

So with our trial and errors, we are turning more to the tools offered by CLEAR
at Michigan State http://clear.msu.edu/clear/store/products.php. They are free
and relatively easy to use. They have a variety of apps so you may find that you
can go beyond what you have been doing so you may need to change how you are doing
your practice and assessments to use them. The greatest disadvantage to these
is it sets everything up to really be teacher to student not between students
as you had it. Webswami is also a nice tool for oral/video and written assessments
but it similarly is teacher to student primarily, it's not free and they prefer
that you install it on your own server.

I think the most comparable options to what you were using will probably be gong
and/or anvill although I have no recent knowledge of how those tools are handled
or the difficulties of installing/supporting them.

Good luck and I'll be interested to hear what you finally choose to do as we are
in a similar struggle right now.
Lauren

Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program