LLTI Archives

January 2011, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:15:06 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from 15.5 ---

From: Rob Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:51:25 -0500
Subject: Camera advice?
To: <[log in to unmask]>

My institution has approved a $2,000.00 grant that will allow me to purchase a
AV quipment and supportive technology to record, edit, and ultimately distribute
lecturecasted video segments. To this end, I had envisioned purchasing serveral
SONY video cameras that have built in hard drives. My thought was to position
them in different locations in the classroom and have then all record the lesson
segments simultaneously.

I am wondering if there are video cameras that offer superior sound recording
capabilities.  Has anyone had experience with this? I would like any advice about
cameras or additional hardware that you feel has worked well.  For example, are
there cameras that allow extended or remote microphone connection?

 From your experience, would the purchase of a lavalier or wireless microphone
make sense or would better quality come from a fixed/mounted microphone?

In terms of software, has anyone found a program (or programs) which may offer
greater ease in mixing and editing multiple video and/or audio feeds into one
production?

Any and all advice would be appreciated. If anyone knows of good training websites
or publications on lecturecasting (the kind that would include "real live classes",
  not just the instructor as talking head), please let me know!

Thanks!

Rob Freeman
Delaware Technical and Community College