LLTI Archives

January 2011, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:12:24 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from 15.5 ---

From: Kelly Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:02:53 -0500
Subject: Re: #9556 Electronic portfolios
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum	<[log in to unmask]>

At Clemson we have developed a Languages ePortfolio that expands on the University
requirements for a general education ePortfolio.  This not only provides a more
personalized portfolio-type assessment of a student's work over  their college
career, it also gives them the functional skills needed to develop a basic website
that they can then build on in the future.  Broad concepts are covered as well
as more detailed considerations.  For example, while students are encouraged to
put together a summary of their course work and identify elements that are relevant
to their future goals, they are also guided through the process of creating and
editing a cover letter and resume/CV in English and the target language.  With
the combined guidance of advisors, the Language Lab, and the Career Center, students
can identify important focus areas for these types of documents, including even
a country specific component if they are so inclined.  We also encourage them
to include relevant samples of their work in different areas; this seems to work
well as the Modern Languages Spanish major might have a different goal and different
set of course work than the Language and International Trade Spanish major.  In
this way, we try to walk the fine line between providing a strong framework for
the development of such a resource and also allowing students the academic and
creative freedom to meet their personal goals.
The course that we offer as guidance is a 2-credit, pass/fail course.  It combines
structured class time sessions with myself (as Languages ePortfolio Advisor and
Language Lab Director), representatives from the University ePortfolio Center,
the Career Center, and the IT Department, and other guest speakers that share
personalized insights on technological, academic, and professional resources.
  Students are also required to meet individually with their advisors and me.
We decided to structure the course this way (a combination of class meetings and
individual meetings) to give students both a solid foundation and a personalized
approach.
At this point, while the Languages ePortfolio is required of almost all graduating
seniors, it is not the official assessment of senior student work within our Department;
we have been exploring the idea of how to make it a major part of their finishing
work as seniors.  We use Google Sites to develop the ePortfolios as that is the
University directive, but students are encouraged to incorporate other resources
if they would like to do so.  Although many students are apprehensive when starting
their work, as soon as they work with the site for a few hours they become much
more comfortable and enthusiastic and recognize the value of the project.

Kelly F. Davidson, Ph.D.
Language Lab Director
Lecturer in French
Coordinator of First Year French
Department of Languages ePortfolio Advisor
Director, Clemson French Immersion: Belgium

113 Daniel Hall
Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634
Tel: (864) 656.3458
Fax: (864) 656.0258

"Saving one animal will not change the world, but for that one animal...her world
will surely change."