LLTI Archives

January 2011, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 23:41:21 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Dennie Hoopingarner <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 07:07:46 -0500
>Subject: Re: #9553 Research on student learning effects of technology
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

*sigh* I'll take it this time, guys:

Substitute the word "chalkboard" or "textbook" for the word "technology" in Hartman's
quote, and you also have a true statement.

Asking for evidence that this or that technology has a positive effect on teaching
or learning is a futile exercise. The question is so broad that it can't yield
useful answers. The research is rich with examples how applying a specific technology
in a specific way yielded specific, targeted results. In sum, these studies show
that technology can have an impact on teaching and learning. However, since not
everyone uses the same technology in the same way, we can't say that there is
a systematic application of technology, and therefore, there is not a systematic
impact on teaching and learning.

However, these narrow studies can be combined into a  mosaic picture that may
be pieced together into some best practices.

My two cents. Anyone else want to add to the discussion?