LLTI Archives

January 2011, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:38:12 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from 15.5 ---

From: Harry Velez <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 14:16:42 -0800
Subject: Research on student learning effects of technology
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Hi there folks!
I am writing in the hope that some of you might be able to send me some useful
citations of research on the positive effects of instructional tech on student
learning.  It seems to be the case that some folks are debating this question
at my school.  I guess that claims against the benefits of instructional tech
as well as its rising cost in times of tight budgets are motivating this discussion.
I have been involved with IT as an instructor in foreign languages and literature
since the late 1990's and strongly believe that instructional technology has enhanced
both my teaching and my students' learning.  I can speak to that, but I am a bit
discouraged when I read that my experience might be a rarity.  To quote Joel Hartman,
"overall higher education has not convincingly demonstrated that technology has
had a systemic, widespread, or sustained impact on the process of teaching or
on student learning outcomes" (EDUCAUSE Review, vol. 43, no. 6 (November/December
2008).
Specific citations or links to articles would be gladly received.
Any help out there woud be appreciated!
Best,
Harry

Harry Velez Quinones