LLTI Archives

January 2011, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 16:48:33 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Mandel, Debra" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Mandel, Debra" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 20:01:28 -0500
>Subject: RE: #9549 Whither VHS and miniDV?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum	<[log in to unmask]>

Hi Anthony-

In the Northeastern U. Digital Media Design Studio, we have been using the Panasonic
mini-DV decks as well, but we have also been using a Sony "clamshell" device,
Sony GVHD700, often used in portable/field situations, but work fine in a fixed
workstation configuration. They are more reliable than the Panasonic and work
with a wider range of tapes.

Here is a link to the model at B & H:(a little over $1K)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/516841-REG/Sony_GVHD700_1_GV_HD700_HDV_Video_Walkman.html

B & H might also have VHS/DVD combis--luckily we have stockpiled a bunch of VHS
decks in the Library as we dismantled our old media center and aging carrels.

We have a few multi-region DVD players in the library--not as available in classrooms.
I believe we have one working multi-region VHS player. We still have a U-Matic
machine and 16mm, and do reformatting for our Archives.

These are challenging times! Good luck!!

Debra