LLTI Archives

January 2011, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 17:56:16 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Anthony Helm <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Anthony Helm <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 17:54:55 -0500
>Subject: Whither VHS and miniDV?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

Before hitting the used equipment market, I thought I'd ask the list about the
following.

Recently, two pieces of lab equipment have died. The first, a Samsung Multistandard
VHS deck (you know, the kind that not only plays any format of VHS tape, but also
allows you to choose which output signal to use also) and the second is a Panasonic
miniDV deck that has been used not only for its miniDV capabilities but also as
the analog-to-digital passthrough device feeding our analog decks to our iMac
video station.

I can find neither device still being sold, except through the used goods channels.
There are international DVD/VHS decks available, but they appear to only output
to NTSC (no great hardship, really), and these are sold in some places along with
video signal converters if I want full input/output flexibility.

As for the miniDV deck, I can't really find anything left on the market that isn't
thousands of dollars, such as the $1700 JVC Pro Three-In-One Deck on the low end
of the scale. The A-to-D conversion I can manage with something like a Canopus
device, but I'm surprised how fast the decks have disappeared.

So, to my question, what are others doing to provide legacy support for analog
source materials? What are you using in your equipment racks today? Have you given
up on providing support for international materials that aren't available on DVD?
Did you buy up stocks of legacy equipment? Advice? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Anthony

Anthony Helm