NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bob Stern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 15:19:22 -0800
>jem cabanes wrote:
>
>I'm at a loss as how to open msoft Access files with some Mac
>equivalent application (AppleWorks, Bento).
>
>But how to export the data of a file that can't be opened?

FileMaker cannot import from Access.  This includes all versions of
FileMaker from version 7 to the present.  Nor can any other Mac
program that I know of.

You say it would be impractical to export it to Excel or
tab-delimited format, but you should explain whether this is a
one-time project or whether you need continuous access to a database
whose contents change over time.

Also, you didn't explain whether the Access database has more than
one table, i.e., whether it is a relational database.  That would
complicate matters considerably if you need the data from more than
one table.

As someone else suggested, the most straightforward solution would be
to install Access and Windows using emulator software such as Boot
Camp, VMware Fusion, Parallels, Darwine, or Crossover.  You can get
Windows XP relatively cheaply.  Find out what version of Access what
used, and install that version yourself to ensure compatibility.
--

Bob Stern