MACSCRPT Archives

January 2011

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Mark J. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:29:41 -0500
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Walter Ian Kaye
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> No, it will absolutely work for a file with multiple periods in the
>> name,
>

> Well that depends on how you consider, say, document.ps.gz -- but maybe
> that's only an issue for a Web server. :-)

As I said in the part of my reply that you clipped, it "works" in that
it returns the same value as the previous solution based on 'name
extension'.  In your example, both solutions treat 'document.ps' as
the base name and '.gz' as the extension.  That may or may not be
correct for your application; the text item-based solution is flexible
enough that you can change it to suit your needs.

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>