NISUS Archives

January 2011

NISUS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
paolo savonuzzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:21:13 +0100
Žorvaršur

I had a similar issue, desktop icons re-arranged on restart, on my old PPC MB 17 and I'm having a different one on both the iMac 27 and, sometimes, MBA: startup items reset to "none" and Safari cache emptyied.
but, at least, these annoyiances, are random and do not happen too often

this kind of problem, afaik, is caused by a preference file becoming corrupted, maybe by some third party app or "extension" or "hack" (some applications install these without you even knowing)

so I re-installed everything (OS and applications) from scratch, recently, without using Migration Assistant afterwards and manually moving, instead, all my documents. I did this in order to clean my system from any 10.4/10.5/PPC only/wathever leftover (been upgrading my system for years)
instead of "occasional" the issue is now "rare". but still shows (on the iMac, whilst on the MBA... finger crossed ;-)

after spending hours on the phone talking to, very kind indeed but pretty useless Apple Care technicians, all I can think of, now, is...
a) a non Apple certified RAM module (on the iMac)
b) something related indeed to external HDs (two Iomega are constantly plugged-in to the iMac)
c) ... 10.6 Finder itself (I also had since day one, and still have, the Finder crashing and relaunching when scrolling folders containing hundreds of files :-/ )

I strongly suspect both b and c ;-)
(btw: own too one of those new WD HDs and after using it for the first time... I immediately removed their useless, and potentially dangerous in my belief, "manager" software)

as to your MBP's "need to restart" after a few hours... no: it is not a "not enough RAM" issue (my MBA only has 2GB) and it definitely shouldn't happen at all (again: my MBA is constantly on!)
what Apple suggests as first troubleshooting step is: create a new (non admin) user and work as usual for the time it takes for the issue to show

hope it helps (but I think it doesn't, sorry!)
--
paolo