LLTI Archives

December 2010, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2010 00:02:52 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:38:49 +0100
>Subject: Re: #9543 Tracking students' use of online resources
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Tim,

When I first saw the website I thought the same as you, glorified flashcards.
What I can tell you though is that I have both Japanese and Chinese instructors
using it with their students. Several of the students really like it. Others not
so much. I guess my question to you is how important is it that you keep track
of how much time and if they are using it? Why not just provided it as an optional
tool, an extension of all the other learning that goes on. Those who like it and
feel the benefit will use it and others don't. In the end it isn't how much time
they spend but how well they can communicate in the ways that you are asking them
to. Some students can do that with less time while others need more.

Good luck as you explore. Our program is a hybrid learning program where the face
time is over ITV. We rely on a CMS to share content for all tools.

Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program
University of Wisconsin
618 Van Hise Hall