UV-BIRDERS Archives

December 2010, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"David A. Merker" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David A. Merker
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:40:01 -0500
A Barred Owl has been hanging around the yard for the past 2 days. Seems like in my area there might be a shortage of rodents already. Unusual to see these guys hanging around the backyard so early, plus no snow cover... I had one mouse I was saving for a trip up to the Champlain Valley. I've had a hard time catching mice this fall. I loaded my trap and caught the owl in an instant. I barely took 2 steps away and it was coming to the trap. Banded it and released it. It did not seem underweight or too skinny, based on the birds response to the mouse it was very hungry, they usually don't come to the trap until I'm back in the house, and then it still might take some time. It went right back to the tree it came from. It stayed all evening and later I tossed the mouse onto the lawn and it swooped in grabbed it and took it up to it's perch and gobbled it up immediately, whole. Nice bird, although it took me by surprise and shredded my thumb, they are usually the most laid back of owls in the hand. This one got me good...BTW it has had ample opportunity to shoot for one of my laying hens, but they just must be too much for him. BAOWs have tiny talons as do Rough Legs for the size of the bird. One hell of a strong beak.. :o(

Grosbeaks and the usual suspects at the feeder. My dove flock is enormous...30+ Lots of Jays too!
Might have to invest in a gerbil this winter... :o)

David Merker, B.S., M.A.
Recruitment Services
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
603-653-0435
www.lifeworkshere.org
Dartmouth-Hitchcock.org<http://www.dartmouth-hitchcock.org/>

[cid:image002.png@01CB9845.D5BC6490]

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE:

This message is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.