LLTI Archives

December 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2010 22:07:55 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Steven M. Smolnik" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Steven M. Smolnik" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date:         Wed, 8 Dec 2010 16:09:31 -0500
>Subject: Secure posting/hosting of video files?
>To: [log in to unmask]
>cc: "Steven M. Smolnik" <[log in to unmask]>

Hi everyone,
At our college, some departments like Counseling and Social Work are asking
their students to make video recordings of discussions sessions with clients in

the field.  The video recordings are strictly for use by the individual student

and the college instructor for purposes of evaluating the student's respective

command of practices studied in the classroom.  The faculty want those
recordings to be "handed in" electronically in a way that allows the student
only to submit her recording (but not to review recordings submitted by other

students) and also restricts viewing of the submitted recordings to the
relevant faculty only.
Our concerns in the IT dep't include how to accomodate the growing file
storage requirements on our network storage, and how to avoid taking IT staff

time to help every student upload her files.
Faculty are looking for an approach that lets them access the files securely
from on-campus offices as well as from off-campus locations outside of our
network.  Ideally, students could upload files from anywhere with a network
connection.
We are initially considering a limited pilot project using network folders on
the
campus network, with appropriately set permissions for each student and
faculty member involved in the project. We are also looking into how iTunes
University may help us through remote hosting and password-protected
access.
We would love to hear what others are doing (or considering) to accommodate
requests like this.
Thanks for your collective and individual wisdom!
-Steve
Steven M. Smolnik
Academic Technology Manager
Office of Information Technology