LLTI Archives

December 2010, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 23:31:21 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Verbick, John D." <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Verbick, John D." <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 21:58:39 +0000
>Subject: RE: #9535 Ideas for a fourth language laboratory
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum	<[log in to unmask]>

Hi Maribel,

Oh man, that is awesome!  Three additional rooms, wow - very cool.

So, for the fourth room, it sounds like you guys are wide open on options, although
I'm sure the budget is always a consideration (at least it is here at OU!).  We
recently expanded into some adjacent space, and were able to absorb and renovate
what was previously used as a communal TA office, but what was in years past an
older classroom.

Our goal in the new space was to create something that would be truly multipurpose,
and so we went with really modular furniture, tables and chairs that can fold,
nest, and be pushed into different configurations or completely out of the way.
  Then we installed technology (international satellite TV [DishNetwork, although
we considered SCOLA], flat screen plasma display, document camera, VHS, multi-region/multi-code
DVD player, laptop hookup, speakers, etc.).

This new multi-use space has been really great for:

- open access study space
- language tutoring and mentoring
- foreign film screenings
- conversation groups
- language immersion experiences
- scheduled language class activities
- cultural events and meals
- student organization meetings
- career fairs
- talks by visiting scholars
- viewing international news and sporting events
- etc.

Oh, and I would definitely recommend that you guys look into the Epson BrightLink
450wi interactive projector (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=V11H317020-1).
  For a fraction of the cost of a large interactive whiteboard or SmartBoard installation,
you can get a fully functional interactive display, which can be projected on
to any flat, "clean" wall surface or onto a traditional dry erase board.  We've
had ours installed for about a semester and it is awesome.  The only thing that
you have to be sure to do is have a really robust training and implementation
plan to encourage usage, since some instructors are still a bit hesitant to jump
in with both feet when it comes to new(er) technology.  We have been working up
a short series of training videos set to launch next semester.  You can check
them out here if you are interested: http://www.vimeo.com/modlang/videos.

Or, have you thought about putting in some sort of language cafe for community
gatherings? That's the one thing that I really wish we had - some sort of actual
cafe setup with a sink, microwave, a place to make coffee and tea, maybe a surface
for food prep for cultural activities, etc.

If you haven't taken a look at what Notre Dame and Pomona have done with their
Language Resource Center spaces, you definitely should.  Pretty cool stuff.

- http://cslc.nd.edu/about/
- http://flrc.pomona.edu/ (or http://flrc.pomona.edu/center/pictures/)

Hope this helps!

Congrats on the new space!