LLTI Archives

November 2010, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 23:45:36 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 10:18:05 -0400
>Subject: Re: #9501iPad Use in Language Centers
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

Great topic, Jerimiah! I've been wondering why we're not talking more about this.

Remember 10-15 years ago many schools began investing in the rolling metal cabinet
full of laptops, the "portable lab"? It seemed a bit unwieldy to me at the time,
but I'm sure it filled a void in environments where an installed lab was not possible.
Imagine a "lab in a bag" represented by a class set of iPads (or tablets) that
a teacher passes out to students in a language class to give lab functionality
in any room, not just a dedicated and expensive wired lab.

This seems a much more viable option now.
	-tablets are cheaper than laptops
	-tablets are smaller, lighter, and w/o wires: truly mobile
	-ubiquitous wifi in many schools
	-a hot app development environment looking to meet any need
	-more and more resources are web based, not local
	-bluetooth enables use of peripherals (such as headsets)

I suggest that the mobile lab is perhaps not just a bleeding-edge alternative
to the wired lab, but a cheaper, more flexible, and more exciting model. My office
is exploring apps, functionality, and pedagogical issues now in anticipation of
this model providing effective lab functionality on the fly.

Among the challenges that the iOS presents, one stems from the lack of multi-user
support. But if we pair the iPad with Web 2.0 functionality, then we get away
from the high demands of LAN-based account and document management--a significant
task in most labs--and move toward cloud-based sharing and collaboration. Various
kiosk apps lock the device down, effectively providing another important managed
lab service--security.

Any thoughts on why the iPad/tablet should or shouldn't replace the installed
lab? If not now, soon? And note that I'm not suggesting handing iPads/tablets
out to students to keep, as is being done in some schools, but making them available
for teachers to borrow for specific class activities.

Cheers,

John de Szendeffy
Manager, IT
International Programs