LLTI Archives

October 2010, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:56:07 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Shoaf,Judith P" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Shoaf,Judith P" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:29:39 -0400
>Subject: RE: #9510.3 Voice Recording Software
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum	<[log in to unmask]>

As I understand Muhammad Faisal's question, he is not concerned about whether
Audacity CAN be installed easily and work well in a University computing environment,
but whether it MAY be installed, since the license specifies:

You *must* include the following to comply with version 2 or later of the GPL:

1.a verbatim copy of the GPL [General Public License] and
2.the Audacity source code (or if you are distributing a modified version of Audacity,
that modified code). Failing that, you must include a written offer to supply
the code.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/license

(1) is not a problem, since the license appears in the "about" section of Audacity.

I am not so sure about (2) because I don't really grasp the meaning. The version
offered in the university environment has probably not modified the source code,
so the original source code has to be available to users. I am still not sure
what "include the source code" means (the ability to copy the program itself?
The ability to modify it on the lab computer on which they are using it?).

Judy Shoaf