LLTI Archives

October 2010, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:52:55 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Conner, Michael S." <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Conner, Michael S." <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 12:17:54 +0000
>Subject: Voice Recording
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum	<[log in to unmask]>

I've used a java recording applet called ListenUp (http://www.javasonics.com/)
to build a system for students to submit voice recordings to instructors.  The
recording is browser based and very easy to use and is extremely flexible and
customizable.  The key is that faculty can open the students' submissions and
record (insert) comments and corrections very easily without recording over the
original file.  In the end the student can listen to their voice recording with
the recorded feedback built in.  It's all very easy for the end users and pretty
reliable.  The recorder can be presented along with prompts (video, audio, images,
text...) and the assessment recorder can be presented with a rubric or form for
entering written comments as well as the recorded comments.

ListenUp is not free, but it is very inexpensive for educational institutions.
  I've developed the backend in PHP/MySQL to work with our Blackboard installation.

If anyone is interested in seeing how it works please drop me a line.

-mike