LLTI Archives

October 2010, Week 4

From:
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:24:08 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Lauersdorf, Mark R" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Lauersdorf, Mark R" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 18:20:03 -0400
>Subject: Second Call:  Language Technology at KFLC 2011
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Second Call for Papers!

the abstract submission deadline for LangTech at the KFLC 2011 is fast approaching:

** 15 November 2010 **

Many thanks to all who have already responded and who have shared this information
their colleagues and constituents.  I'm hoping to hear from many more of you in
the coming days.

For your convenience, I have included below my original message with the full
Call for Papers.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions or be of any help.

Regards,

Mark

----- original message and Call for Papers -----

Hello all,

This could be the year you join us for "LangTech at the KFLC" !

The new Call for Papers 2011 is ready and included below.

We are continuing our efforts to attract papers discussing technology as a tool
for *literary, cultural, and linguistic* teaching and research, as we grow and
prosper in the international, multilingual, multidisciplinary setting of the KFLC.

We are, of course, also continuing our successful sessions on the use of technology
in the acquisition of language skills.

We hope that you will consider joining us this year for Language Technology in
the Bluegrass!

Mark Lauersdorf

P.S. A .pdf version of this Call for Papers is available for you to share with
your colleagues in your language programs who may not be on LLTI. Please contact
me directly if you would like one.

P.P.S. For those who may not be familiar with the KFLC, here is a short blurb
about this long-standing academic conference:

"The KFLC is an international academic conference that brings together top researchers
in language, literature, culture, and linguistics in the fields of Arabic, East
Asian, French and Francophone, German-Austrian-Swiss, Hispanic, Italian, and Luso-Afro-Brazilian
Studies, as well as Language Technology and Second Language Acquisition.  It takes
place in April each year on the campus of the University of Kentucky in Lexington
Kentucky, and is marking its 64th year in 2011."

----- CALL FOR PAPERS - LANGTECH AT THE KFLC -----

In our continuing efforts to create a premier international discussion forum at
the intersection between technology and literary, cultural, and linguistic teaching
and research, we welcome submissions on any aspect of:

**Technology for Language, Literature, Culture, and Linguistics**

This includes, but is certainly not limited to:
- integrating technology into literature, culture, and linguistics classrooms
- technology as a tool for student projects and research in literature, culture,
and linguistics
- faculty research in literature, culture, and linguistics employing technology
tools ("digital humanities")

Abstracts are, of course, also welcome in *all* other areas and aspects of technology
and language, such as:
- using tech tools and techniques for language instruction in all skills and on
all levels
- mentoring language educators in optimal use of technology in their teaching
and research
- employing technology-based research and publication in language scholarship
- managing language technology in an academic setting

The KFLC is an international academic conference that brings together top researchers
in language, literature, culture, and linguistics in the fields of Arabic, East
Asian, French and Francophone, German-Austrian-Swiss, Hispanic, Italian, and Luso-Afro-Brazilian
Studies, as well as Second Language Acquisition. We would like to see this broad
range represented in the Language Technology sessions, to encourage cross-pollination
of ideas among the languages and disciplines working to integrate technology into
their teaching and research programs, and to encourage participants from the literature,
culture, and linguistics sessions to join us in our discussions.

Abstracts should be no more than 250-300 words in length and should be submitted
directly online at:

KFLC Abstract Site: http://www.kflcabstracts.uky.edu/

In view of the multi-language audience that we hope to attract to all Language
Technology sessions, the recommended language of presentation is English.

**Deadline for submission of abstracts and panel proposals is 15 November 2010.**

All proposed abstracts will be considered for inclusion in the KFLC program. Acceptance
of a paper implies a commitment on the part of the participant(s) to register
and attend the conference. All presenters must pay the appropriate registration
fee by 15 February 2011 to be included in the program. The conference will take
place 14-16 April 2011 on the campus of the University of Kentucky in Lexington.

For more information on conference logistics, please visit: http://web.as.uky.edu/kflc/.

For specific information on the Language Technology sessions, contact the division
director at the coordinates listed below.

If you've been here before, we welcome you again! If you've never been, make this
the year to join us in beautiful springtime Kentucky for "LangTech at the KFLC"!

Mark Lauersdorf

-----------------------------------
Dr. Mark Richard Lauersdorf
KFLC -- Language Technology division director

Associate Professor of Languages and Linguistics
Director of Language Technology
Interim Director, Collaboratory for
      Research in Computing for Humanities

1055 Patterson Office Tower