LLTI Archives

October 2010, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2010 16:58:27 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from 15.5 ---
From: Muzaffer Ozcelik <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 13:33:09 -0400
Subject: Re: #9492.4 Interactive White Board Recommendations
To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Barbara,

I would like to add a couple of more points to the others' comments.

We currently have a 3M Interactive Whiteboard in the LLRC at Stony Brook.

We compared different models before we purchased it about three years ago,.
Smartboard was more popular and geared more towards education whereas the others
were designed for general use back then.
Smartboard had more educational templates, images, animations and so on. Also,
there were tons of sample lesson plans available online designed for Smartboard,
most of them based on its Notebook software.

However, the main reason why we went for 3M interactive instead was because 3M
had a durable porcelain whiteboard SURFACE. Smartboard had a touch sensitive surface.
In other words, writing on Smartboard with a dry-erase marker by accident might
damage its sensitivity. The 3M board, on the other hand, could be used as a regular
whiteboard as its surface was not touch sensitive.(You are to use a special pen,
a stylus, that is responding to the infrared light projected on the board's surface.)
This was important for us because the board would be placed in one of our heavily
used classrooms within the center. We did not want to lose this expensive equipment
due to minor mishap as, we knew, sooner or later someone would accidently write
on it, or try to post a flyer on it using a push-pin. (This is exactly what happened
to a Smartboard in another department on campus.)

Another important consideration was the vendor SUPPORT, tech support. We found
the local 3M sales team to be more cooperative in that sense. They provided us
a generous warranty, promised an unlimited, prompt  training and parts support.
It was important at the time because, as far as I know, the LLRC was the one of
the first departments to get an interactive whiteboard on campus. Yes, we definitely
used their support and they gracefully kept their promises.

I should say that the 3M model that we have is not the most user-friendly one
in the market. Its projector flickers sometimes. There has been technical glitches
with updating its software. 3M is a huge company so this is not their main specialty.
They have a limited image gallery. If you lose the stylus, you cannot use the
board. Other than that, it does everything a Smartboard does.

So, it all depends on where you are going to keep it, who is going to use it and
what kind of support would be available for the users?

I see Smartboard is now more commonly used on campus and in other schools around
here. If I were not worried about the sensitive surface and the support, I would
have also gone for Smartboard.  People like what they are most familiar with.
When the users see that our interactive whiteboard is not  a "Smartboard" they
tend to get more intimidated.

Best,

Muzaffer

Muzaffer Ozcelik, Director